List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1355449

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityMorton Bagot

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305478

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MORTON BAGOT SP16SW 5/128 Church of the Holy Trinity 01/02/67

GV II*

Small church. Late C13; east wall and part of nave C15 south porch and turret c.1600. Chancel of coursed squared limestone with some white stone and brown stone buttresses. Nave north and south walls of regular coursed lias, partly rendered; west wall of uncoursed limestone rubble. Timber framed porch has lath and plaster infill; turret has close studding with jowled posts and,lath and plaster infill. old tile roof; chancel has late C20 tile. Nave and chancel with west bell turret and south porch. 2-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. Arched south door and doorway with remains of hood mould. Open porch with jowled posts. Chancel has C15 east window of 3 cinqfoiled lights. East angle and western buttresses. Sable with C19 cross finial. North and south walls have late C13 eastern windows of paired trefoiled lights. North wall has western trefoiled lancet. South wall has unusual simple trefoiled lancet with narrow trefoil piercing above; blocked lower part, possibly formerly a low-side window. Nave has north buttresses and diagonal buttresses to west end. Blocked late C13 north door and 2-light trefoiled window. Small lancet. South wall has 2 early C14 three-light windows with cusped intersecting tracery. Renewed late C13 west window of 2 trefoiled liqhts. Gabled turret with single openings. Interior: Chancel has C14 ogee-arched piscina with leaf-carved bowl in south wall. Common-rafter roof with ashlar pieces. Two C15/C16 tie beans. Chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders has simple imposts with incised simplified stiff leaf pattern. Nave walls plastered. remains of piscina in south wall. Queen post roof with renewed tie beams, and wind races; partly hidden by ceiling. Substantial truss supporting bell turret. Fittings: Plain C13 octagonal font with simple mouldings to middle and top. C16 wood cover. C19 altar rails with traceried panels from a C15 oak screen. In chancel a C15 carved oak prayer desk with poppy heads and openwork panels, brought in from the Catholic chapel on the Profumo estate at Avon Dassett. An Interesting example of a small, little-altered medieval church. Forms part of a group with Church Farmhouse (q.v.) and barn range (q.v.). and barn and shelter sheds (q.v.) at Church Farm. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol. III, p.133; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.358).

Listing NGR: SP1126564707

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 358

National Grid Reference: SP 11265 64707

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 12:49:17.