List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT PETER PAUL AND ELIZABETH

List entry Number: 1355381

Location

ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT PETER PAUL AND ELIZABETH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityCoughton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Dec-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305316

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COUGHTON SP06SE 1/153 Roman Catholic Church of 11/12/69 Saints Peter, Paul and Elizabeth

GV II*

Roman Catholic Church. Built for Throckmorton family 1853. Designed by Charles Hansom 1851. Regular coursed limestone. Tile roof with crested ridge tiles and coped gables. Wide nave, chancel and north chapel, south-west turret and south porch. Gothic Revival. Decorated style. 5-bay nave, 2-bay chancel and chapel. West front has arched double-leaf doors with hood mould and stops. 3-light traceried east and west windows, with hood mould and head stops. Tall thin south-west turret starts square but turns octagonal. Top has trefoil openings and gargoyles and pyramidal roof. Double-chamfered arched south doorway with double-leaf doors. South porch has coped gables and buttresses flush with front. Arch with hood mould and head stops. Nave has 2-light traceried windows throughout. North chapel has diagonal and single buttresses with 2-light traceried windows. North porch in angle of stone, timber and glass. Single-storey link to priest's house has tall central gable, shouldered door and casements. Interior: plastered walls throughout. Nave has scissor brace roof. West gallery. Chancel arch without imposts. Chancel has panelled wagon roof with good painted and stencilled decoration. Carved stone altar and reredos. 2-bay arcade to chapel has round shaft. Chapel has plain panelled wagon roof. Fittings: Piscina and seat. Stone pulpit and font with relief carvings; font rests on 5 colonettes. Stained glass: Some original glass in nave, chapel east window, and chancel east window attributed to Hardman (Buildings of England). A good, little altered example of a C19 Catholic Church. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.III, p.74; Kelly's Directory of Birmingham, Staffordshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire, 1884, p.737).



Listing NGR: SP0836360403

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Birmingham Staffordshire and Warwickshire - Date: 1884 - Journal Title: Kellys Directory - Page References: 737 - Type:
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1945 - Volume: 3 - Page References: 74

National Grid Reference: SP 08363 60403

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 02:58:07.