List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETROC

List entry Number: 1355166

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETROC, CHURCH LANE
CHURCH OF ST PETROC, PRIORY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityBodmin

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 368037

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BODMIN

SX0767 PRIORY ROAD 629-1/2/96 (North side) 24/03/49 Church of St Petroc

GV I

Parish church. Part of tower Norman, otherwise 1469-72, restored 1814, 1867, 1888 and 1930. MATERIALS: local squared and coursed stone with granite and freestone dressings; dry slate roofs. PLAN: 6-bay nave; 3-bay chancel; north and south aisles; north tower at junction between nave and chancel and 2-storey south porch. EXTERIOR: much retooled or refaced in C19 but incorporating outer granite frames of C15 windows and some C15 tracery. West end partly rebuilt in C19 when a Norman doorway was replaced by present 4-centred arched doorway; 5-light Perpendicular style window above and coped gable; 2 flanking octagonal stair turrets and gable ends of N & S aisles, each with large window in Perpendicular style. Embattled S elevation has 2-storey porch to 2nd bay: 4-centred arched doorway; strings above ground floor and below parapet; niches to 1st floor of front. Priest's door towards right. Central bay of E wall much rebuilt late C19. N tower contains Norman masonry to lower stage: small windows. INTERIOR: C15 waggon roof to chancel aisle with 1471 date painted on, otherwise replaced in C19; tall standard A (Pevsner) granite arcade piers with depressed 2-centred arches and 3 basket arches between east and west end; flat plastered walls. Porch has remains of stone fan-vaulted ceiling, a rare feature in Cornwall. FITTINGS: good quality C12 font with deep granite bowl on short shaft, slender corner shafts with busts of angels on capitals, decorated with carved foliage and scrolls, animals and trees-of-life; 3 piscina including C15 octagonal cresset by S door; late C15 bench ends and rood screen panels incorporated into rood screen, some bench ends reused in choir stalls and desk; 1932 reredos by Sir Charles Nicholson incorporating some original 1491 Mathley More Panels; carved oak pulpit with panels and later embellished base partly of choir stalls; C18 elvan fragment of former lantern cross; two c1500 double-sided German painted panels on piers; lectern incorporating C15 carved oak misereres; C17 carved oak chair, and a fragment of C15 painted wood. The Bodmin Casket, C12 of ivory is set into S wall of S aisle, possibly the casket in which the remains of St Petroc were handed back to the Prior of Bodmin in 1177. MONUMENTS: a free-standing monument between chancel and N aisle to Thomas Vivian, one of the last priors of Bodmin d.1533, of black Catacleuse stone and grey marble recumbent effigy on chest decorated with figures of the Evangelists, cherubs with shields; slate slab to Richard Durant d.1632; another to Peter Bolt d.1633, depicting his 2 wives and 13 children, others to Bernard Flamank 1658, Elizabeth Bernard and by Neville Burnard to Alice, daughter of William and Ann Webb of Altarnum, died 19.9.1833 aged 3 years 3 months; wall marble to Michael Bennet d.1821, by William Behnes, another to Captain Oakely, d.1835 also by Behnes; various late C18 and early C19 wall marbles including a group to the Gilbert family at E end of S chancel aisle. MEMORIAL GLASS: 1859 to John D Watkins (N wall of chancel aisle) d.1846 aged 69 and his wife Loveday d.1857 aged 78; another to E end to E of chancel (inscriptions inaccessible at time of survey); Clara, wife of Walter Raleigh Gilbert of the Priory (qv) daughter of John Michael Williams of Caerhays (E end of S chancel aisle) 1869-1884, fitted 3.10.1884; windows dated 1880, 1898 and to William Robert Kirke d.1868 aged 60, all to S wall of S chancel aisle and several windows to the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry including one over war memorial in N aisle and one to Captain William Henry Liddle, also 2 windows to W end. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Radcliffe E: Cornwall: London: 1970-: 41-43; Kelly: Kelly's Directory of Cornwall: London: 1902-: 34 & 35; Wilkinson Rev J J: The Building of Bodmin Church 1469-72: 1874-).

Listing NGR: SX0731667032

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970), 41-43
Wilkinson, Reverend J J , The Building of Bodmin Church 1469-72, (1874)
'Kellys Directory' in Cornwall, (1902), 34-35

National Grid Reference: SX 07313 67033

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 07:00:13.