List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List entry Number: 1355096

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, BIRTLEY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GatesheadMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 303767

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 25 NE BIRTLEY BIRTLEY LANE 12/3 (east side)

1.2.67 Church of St. John the Evangelist.

G.V. II

Parish church. 1849-50 by Pickering. Snecked tooled sandstone, blue Lakeland slate roofs. Aisleless nave, west tower flanked by single-storey half-octagonal ended proj- ections, south porch; double-gabled transepts; short one-bay chancel with apse. North of chancel a small semi-circular-ended chapel and a plain vestry. Norman style. Round- headed windows, mostly with roll mouldings and nook shafts with scalloped capitals. Corbel table to panelled sections of 3-bay nave. Paired transept windows have round openings with chevron moulding above. Corbel table also around chancel. 2-stepped plinth; sill and impost bands. Tower of 4 stages with round window in lowest stage similar to transepts, round-headed window above, clock face in third stage and single bell opening in top stage; parapet resting on corbel table. Main entrance in porch has stout chevron moulding and nook shafts with scalloped capitals. The porch itself is a later addition, in Tudor style of similar wall material and with a stone-flagged roof. Interior; plastered and wainscoted to base of windows which have pronounced splay. Tall tower arch, chancel arch and paired arches to transepts, all with chevron and bobbin ornament and resting on scalloped capitals of round piers. Nave roof of arch- braced collar beam and king-post type on long wood brackets on stone corbels. Apsidal east end has 4 large engaged columns with scalloped capitals and roll-moulded thick ribs. Chancel roof similar to nave and lower. Small wood rood screen. East window depicting crucifixion; 2 memorial windows in north aisle, the latter by Cottier and Co., dated 1872.

Listing NGR: NZ2744555622

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 27445 55622

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 01:17:12.