List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1355036

Location

MANOR HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityWoodford cum Membris

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Sep-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360629

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOODFORD CUM MEMBRIS HINTON SP5352 17/139 Manor House 18/09/53 GV II* Manor house. Late C17. Ironstone ashlar, old tile roofs, brick and stone lateral stacks. Incomplete H-plan. 2 storeys, basement and attic; 5-window range. 6-panel principal door with panelled reveals in moulded stone surround with cornice and segmental pediment on carved stone console brackets, approached by 6 moulded stone steps with plain stone balustrading. Flanked by wood mullion and transom windows with moulded stone sills and surrounds. Similar windows to first floor, that over door blocked. Projecting 2-bay wing to right with chamfered quoins and similar windows, that to first floor right blocked. Incomplete single storey wing to left with lean-to slate roof with square blocked window with simple moulded stone surround. Chamfered plinth, storey band, moulded and bracketted wood eaves cornice, hipped roof. Large stone stack to inner side of projecting wing with plain flue to front, twin blank arcades with round heads to rear flue. Right side elevation of 4 windows has central 2-bay projection with 6-panel door with overlight to left approached from left by outside staircase with moulded stone steps and plain wrought-iron balustrade. To right of door tall window rising through ground and first floor lighting staircase. Door to basement below with simple moulded stone surround and part-glazed plank door. Narrow windows to return sides of projection. All windows on this side had simple moulded stone surrounds with slate roof. Rear elevation has lean-to with slate roof of one storey and attic of poorer masonry with plank door to left with straight hood, 3-light basement window to right, 3-light casement window to first floor with timber lintel and a roof dormer. Projecting wing to left of 2 bays with 15-pane sash window to first floor right windows, rest blocked. Unfinished wing to right has chamfered quoins and portion of storey band to match wing to left. Lateral stacks to inner side of projecting wings with blue brick flues. Interior: open well staircase from ground floor to attic with turned balusters. Bolection-moulded stone fireplaces to hall and other rooms, and moulded stone doorcases. Begun c.1695 and never finished. Dates 1697 and 1699 are scratched in stonework of basement.

Listing NGR: SP5383652543

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 53836 52543

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 04:16:41.