List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST LAURENCE

List entry Number: 1352160

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST LAURENCE, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SuffolkMid SuffolkDistrict AuthorityGreat Bricett

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 279884

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT BRICETT THE STREET TM 05 SW

5/109 Church of St. Mary and St. Laurence 9.12.55

GV I

Parish church; originally the church of the priory of St. Leonard, founded 1114-19 for Augustinian canons from St. Leonard de Noblat; the priory was dissolved in 1444 and granted by Henry VI to his college in Cambridge. Nave, chancel, south porch. Mainly of random flint rubble with freestone dressings; much medieval remodelling with limestone and tile rubble, and later brick rubble. C19 brick at upper levels. Continuous plaintiled roof. The core of the early C12 church remains, but was extended at both ends later in C12, and underwent repeated alterations throughout the Middle Ages. Fine late C12 south doorway with rich carving to jambs, shafts, imposts and arched head. In the jambs are 8 reused stones with carved inscription, of which one word is LEONARDUS. These probably come from the original early C12 doorway a little to the east, whose former position is marked by a very early scratch dial. A number of C12 features remain: blocked tall west doorway with window above, blocket lancets in north and south walls. There were two C12 transepts in the chancel; these were demolished and (on the south side) a window inserted in mid C13, with a good hood-moulded doorway beside it. Blocked early C13 arches. on north and south sides of chancel, which led to transeptal chapels at the extreme east end. These in turn were demolished in C14, and the south arch has w:Lthin it a C14 crocketed and pinnacled piscina and a window. The north arch also has an inserted window. In the south wall are several C13 and C14 Y- traceried windows and a plain C14 piscina. The east wall was rebuilt in 1868; the east window is in the mid C14 manner and is perhaps original and reconstructed; 4 panels of C14 glass in another window were formerly in the east window with much other glass. Early C15 crownpost roof over the nave; the archbraced tiebeams are moulded and the wallpieces have moulded pilasters. Similar chancel roof is later, perhaps rebuilt with removal of chancel arch. A fine font of late C12: square limestone bowl enriched with interlaced arcading and shafts with foliate capitals. Plain square stem and base. Hexagonal oak pulpit with rows of carved sunk trefoils and bands of quatrefoils above and below, and one side has good window tracery; the pulpit is in the manner of C15 but possibly constructed (or assembled) in C19. A wall monument of marble to John Bright of Tollemach Hall, Little Bricett, d.1680. An archaeological plan of the church showing its complex evolution is on the north wall.

Listing NGR: TM0386550677

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 03865 50677

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 06:12:12.