List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SOMERLEY HOUSE

List entry Number: 1350879

Location

SOMERLEY HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireNew ForestDistrict AuthorityEllingham, Harbridge and Ibsley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 143628

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 10 NW ELLINGHAM, HARBRIDGE & IBSLEY SOMERLEY PARK ESTATE

4/23 Somerley House 30.9.64 GV II*

Medium-sized country house. 1792-5 by Samuel Wyatt for David Hobson, purchased in 1828 by 2nd Earl of Normanton, who built picture gallery 1850-1, in 1868 house remodelled, gallery refaced and 2nd floor added by W Burn. Yellow brick with stone and stucco dressings, part stuccoed, behind parapets slate roofs. Originally plan of 5 (3 on east river front) x 6 bay, 2 storey house, with 1½ storey, 6 bay picture gallery added to one corner and colonnade along one side linking to it; Burn added 2nd floor, single storey projection to the east front, encased the gallery and enlarged the service buildings on the north side. West, entrance front was remodelled in 1960's when C19 single projections removed. In centre repositioned stone Ionic porch. Under double doors and side lights. Each side 2 C19 sashes in moulded architrave. In front of each corner small square-plan 1 storey projection with rubbed niche on front and side, and running from corners a screen wall of 3 bays witharchitrave frames in each bay. On 1st floor raised sill band and C19 4-pane sashes in architraves. 2nd floor band and smaller sashes. Moulded cornice and balustrade with piers between bays. Behind, hipped roof. Stacks on corners and on ridge either side of centre. To RH, south front has 6 C19 cross-French- windows under early C19 stone colonnade of paired Ionic columns. Rest of front similar to other. From corner projects gallery, refronted in Italianate style, with rustication, niches with statues, 1st floor cornice and architraved panels, cornice and balustrade. Inside behind door entrance hall with screen of Doric green marble demi-columns and quarter pilasters to full frieze against wall with archway to 2 storey top-lit saloon. To LH is small Study and behind C18 dog-leg staircase with plain iron hand-rail, over oval skylight. Behind again Dining Room C18, all Wyatt, with ceramic medallions on ceilings. To RH West Library with half- height mahogany book-cases, double doors to East Library with Italian stuccoists ceiling, and marble fireplace with overmantal containing portrait. Behind this and saloon L-shaped drawing room, leading to impressive picture gallery, top-lit with Rubens Fireplace and organ. Buildings of England, Hampshire; N Pevsner; 1966; p 508.

Listing NGR: SU1679209146

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 508

National Grid Reference: SU 13422 07883

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 01:13:46.