List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET HOLY ROOD

List entry Number: 1350343

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET HOLY ROOD, ST MARGARETS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BuryMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-May-2003

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 490153

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



326/0/10059 ST MARGARET'S ROAD 09-MAY-03 Prestwich Church of St Margaret Holy Rood

II



Church. 1851-3, extended several times 1863-1899 and restored 1985-6 after a fire. By Travis and Mangnall, restoration by EG Thorne. Rock-faced snecked stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with stone coped gables. Decorated style with buttresses and angle buttresses with set-offs. Long nave and chancel in one with gabled aisles, north porch, south-east vestry and south-west porch (now columbarium). East end has 3-light window with crocketed pinnacles rising from the diagonal buttresses. 2-light windows to sides of chancel. In angle with north aisle a bell turret with open octagonal bell openings and spirelet. North aisle has blind window to east and 2-light windows to side with gabled north porch. South side has vestry with low pitched roof and battlementd parapet to east, then 2-light window to east end of aisle which has 2-light windows to the side. South west porch has battlemented parapet. West end has 3-light window to nave with crocketed pinnacle rising from buttresses and 2-light windows to aisles. INTERIOR. Chancel has outstanding reredos, panelling, choir stalls and other items in Arts and Crafts style, mostly designed by Dan Gibson of Windermere, made by Arthur w. Simpson of Kendal (stalls of 1897-9, rest over period to 1920) Mosaic panels above to sides of window. Marble and mosaic floor. Elaborate hammer-beam roof to nave and chancel. Richly carved west (former rood) screen also by Simpson and of 1920 has carved figures of a soldier and St.Margaret by W Aumonier. War Memorial of 1920 also by Simpson. Font on clustered columns. Stained glass in west window by Ward and Hughes, others by Shrigley and Hunt. Fine late C20 fittings include 2 paintings by Graeme Willson, a Crucifixion suspended over the nave altar and a Madonna and Child in the Lady Chapel, and also an altar and font cover carved in Dick Reid's workshop. A well-detailed church with high quality fittings both of C19 and C20.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 82237 04514

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2014 at 10:00:24.