List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINTS COSMAS AND DAMIAN

List entry Number: 1349846

Location

CHURCH OF SAINTS COSMAS AND DAMIAN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County of HerefordshireUnitary AuthorityMonkland and Stretford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 149868

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 45 NW STRETFORD CP STRETFORD

4/86 Church of Sts Cosmas and Damian

2.9.66

- I

Former parish church. C12, extended C13, partly rebuilt C14, restored.1875 and 1922. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings under a machine-tile roof. Shingled bell-cote to west end has a small broach spire. Two naves and two chancels, under one roof, with a south porch. North nave and chancel in one, C12, have to north wall a large lancet and a small C12 window with semi- circular head. Towards west end a blocked door of C12 with semi-circular head and chamfered jambs. West window is of two trefoiled lights with a circular window above. East window of two pointed lights under a two-centred head. South nave and chancel in one, C13, with-two lancets. South porch is of timber and C15. Outer entrance has an arch-braced tie-beam. The south door has chamfered jambs and a two-centred head. The west window is of two trefoiled lights under a square head, the east window is of three pointed lights with intersecting tracery under a two-centred head with an ogee point. Interior has a central arcade of three bays. This has two-centred arches of two chamfered orders on circular piers with moulded capitals and base. The eastern respond rebuilt in C15 has a rectangular stone structure with crenellated cornice over a recess with moulded jambs and square head. Two tomb recesses in north wall. That to east has a moulded ogee arch with label and head stops. Set in recess effigies of a knight and his wife, probably early C14. The recess to the west has a segmental pointed arch, over mid-C14 stone effigies. Roof is probably C15 of two bays with wall-posts reaching to floor and inter- mediate trusses. Western truss has a tie-beam, and arch-braced collar which forms a part of the bell-cote structure. The intermediate truss is supported on corbels. The collar is arch-braced and is further supported by a crown- post resting on the top of the arcade. The central truss is similar with moulded tie-beam, and the screens are framed into the wall-posts. The second intermediate truss is similar to the other. The eastern truss has tie-beam, arch-braced collar, crown-post and V-struts in apex. Four tiers of purlins, the upper two with curved wind-braces, the lower two with cusped wind-braces. The second purlin up is square-set, not in the slope of the roof, and the principal rafter stops at the collar, in the manner of a base cruck, although the principals are straight. The screens each have three bays, the central one containing the door, the outer bays having three openings with ogee trefoil heads and tracery. In the care of the Redundant Churches Fund. (RCHM, 3, pp 189-190; BoE, p 293-4).

Listing NGR: SO4435055748

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Inventory of Herefordshire III North West - Date: 1934 - Volume: 3 - Page References: 189-190
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Herefordshire - Date: 1963 - Page References: 293-194

National Grid Reference: SO 44350 55741

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2014 at 11:27:16.