List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL OF ST WILFRED OF BROUGHAM CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1349045

Location

CHAPEL OF ST WILFRED OF BROUGHAM CHAPEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaEdenDistrict AuthorityBrougham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 74209

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 52 NW BROUGHAM BROUGHAM

9/5 Chapel of St Wilfred 6.2.58 or Brougham Chapel

GV II*

Church of England chapel. Rebuilt in 1658 for Lady Anne Clifford on medieval site, with early C19 alterations for Lord Brougham. Coursed red sandstone rubble walls with flush quoins, under graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and kneelers; west twin open bellcote. 4-bay nave and single-bay chancel under common roof. Nave has C17 pointed-arched south doorway under hoodmould. Small round-arched C17 windows under hoodmoulds with stepped buttresses between. Taller west windows. Similar north windows, the western one C19 with engaged-columned surround. Chancel has south C17 ogee-headed priest's doorway under hoodmould. Tall round-headed C17 east windows and C19 rose window. Interior has no division between chancel and nave. C17 timber ceiling of collar-beam trusses with curved braces under the collars; elaborate C19 heraldic plasterwork. C17 bowl and stem font with inscription and C19 reworking. West screen of a series of enriched circular posts supporting cinquefoiled arches, moulded and enriched cornice: C16 French imported by Lord Brougham. Dado panelling including imported C16 traceried panels. Pulpit incorporating similar reused panels with carved Biblical figures. Longtitudinal stalls incorporate C16 French panels, those on south wall with carved canopy hoods. Some C17 painted plasterwork has been retained around the priest's door. C19 stained glass incorporating some earlier imported glass. See RCHM, Westmorland, 1936, pp.56-7.

Listing NGR: NY5276528401

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Inventory Of Westmorland - Date: 1936 - Journal Title: Inventory Of Westmorland - Page References: 56-7

National Grid Reference: NY 52765 28401

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 05:39:45.