List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

List entry Number: 1348695

Location

CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaEdenDistrict AuthorityClifton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 74222

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLIFTON CLIFTON NY 52 NW CLIFTON CLIFTON

9/18 Church of St Cuthbert

6.2.68 II*

Parish church. C12 with C13 and C14 additions, partly rebuilt in 1846. Red and calciferous sandstone rubble (and some limestone), the aisle large blocks of sandstone. Graduated greenslate roofs with coped gables, cross finial and west open bellcote. 2-bay nave with north aisle and south porch; 2-bay chancel. Nave walls have been almost completely rebuilt in 1846, but the porch and north aisle appear to be C14 and original features have been incorporated in its rebuilding. West wall of nave is partly original with stepped plinth but with C19 2-light tracery window. South wall has rebuilt C12 doorway within porch. Rebuilt C17 2-light stone-mullioned south window. Aisle has C14 segmental-arched doorway with hollow-chamfered surround. C17 hollow-chamfered 2-light east window with its original iron grille. Similar single-light west window. Chancel has been similarly rebuilt in 1846 with blocked north door and 2 C19 lancet windows. 3-light lancet east window, the surrounds partly original. South priest's doorway in partly-original shouldered surround and 2 reused lancet windows. Interior has open timber roof. Reset C17 stoup. White marble wall plaque to Reverend Moorhouse 1818. Recut C17 font. Single pointed arch into north aisle used as Wybergh Chapel with coat-of-arms panel and inscription of 1738 recording the earlier marriage of the Wyberghs and Engaynes of Clifton Hall. Recess in wall beside altar. Medieval graveslab reset in floor. Pulpit is C19 but with C16 and C17 carved panels. Chancel has reset medieval piscina. C19 choir stalls; onto the back of one of the stalls has been attached an inscribed panel IBD 1683. Panelled timber ceiling. See RCHM, Westmorland, 1936, p.69.

Listing NGR: NY5319027045

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Inventory Of Westmorland - Date: 1936 - Journal Title: Inventory Of Westmorland - Page References: 69

National Grid Reference: NY 53190 27045

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 01:42:47.