List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SAUNDERS ALMSHOUSES

List entry Number: 1348459

Location

SAUNDERS ALMSHOUSES, 1, 3, 5 AND 7, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireDacorumDistrict AuthorityFlamstead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Mar-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 157796

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FLAMSTEAD HIGH STREET TL 0714 (North side) 9/20 Nos. 1, 3, 5, and 7 (Saunders Almshouses) (Formerly listed 22.10.52 as Saunder's Almshouses) II* GV

Block of 4 almshouses. Stone plaque in middle of front engraved 'AnoDm/ 1669". For Thomas Saunders of Beechwood. Reconditioned 1952, with outshut set back at rear rebuilt. Narrow dark red brick in an unusually early use of Flemish-bond. Steep old red tile roof. A long single-storey block of 2 handed pairs of almshouses facing S. 2 large shared internal chimneys symmetrically placed on ridge each with 2 conjoined lozenge shaped diagonal shafts with corbelled caps. Moulded brick gable parapets with square piers topped by ball finials at each apex and above each corbelled brick kneeler. 4 windows S front with 2 pairs of round arched chamfered brick doorways opposite the chimneys. Recessed square-headed 2-light windows with chamfered brick jambs and mullions (formerly plastered to represent stone) and leaded glazing in metal frames (renewed), oak plank doors. Excellent brickwork with bull-nose plinth and brick eaves cornice with frieze. Moulded brick corbels to gable kneelers, 2 large rectangles of stone over the western pair of doors may have had armorial bearings. Stone set immediately under central datestone may have inscription now illegible. Each single-cell house was for a poor married couple. Entrance at jamb of fireplace. Beam runs from front to back. Flat-roofed continuous rear outshut in red brick. (VCH (1908)193: RCHM (1911)89: Kelly (1914)101: Pevsner (1977)143: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL0783314611

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Kelly's Directory - Date: 1914 - Journal Title: Kelly's Directory - Page References: 101
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1908 - Page References: 193
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977 - Page References: 143

National Grid Reference: TL 07833 14611

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 11:45:32.