List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1348423

Location

THE MANOR HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireDacorumDistrict AuthorityChipperfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Dec-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 157598

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHIPPERFIELD THE COMMON TL 0401 (East side) The Manor House 12/71 (formerly listed as Chipperfield 22.10.52 Manor House with railings and gatepiers) GV II*

Country house. Late medieval hall house, probably early C16 (possibly rebuilt for Thomas Gulston, clerk, before 1591. Mundy(1963)xiii), altered and fronted in brick for John Marriott 1714-16 (agreement with Cock of Watford, bricklayer, HRO no.20251: '1716' on cistern), symmetrical N and S wings added 1911-12 for Samuel Blackwell to the older 7 window front. Red brick with hipped old red tile roofs behind parapets. A late medieval open hall of 2 bays with 2 crosswings flush on ground floor with hall, gabled C17 stair wing and other C17 rear additions of 6 gables refaced c.1912. 2 storeys, 11 windows long W front has panelled parapet, eaves band, string course and flush box sash windows with flat gauged arches and 6/6 panes (dwg with contract of 1714 shows mullioned windows and no panels in parapet). Central doorway with broad 8-panel raised and fielded door with flat hood on shaped brackets with fluted pilasters and full entablature with swelled frieze. 2 windows wide projecting end wings c.1912 in matching style but with brick cornice over 1st floor windows. Conjoined diagonal shafts to rear wall chimney of RH part. Moulded caps to end chimneys to central part. Interior has evidence of late medieval 2-bays open hall with crown-post roof with plain post and 4-way bracing. S crosswing with heavy plain joists and jetty. N wing largely gutted. Ovolo moulded beam of inserted floor and 4-centred hall fireplace to chimney with diagonal shafts.Large curved braces to floor beam. Present stair c.1714. Panelling with painted coats of arms of Kettell family moved here in 1852 when Robert Blackwell demolished the former Manor House in Kings Langley High Street and trans- ferred it and the name to this house previously a farm known as Pingels- gate. Panelled rooms and wall painting. (Pevsner (1977) 128:RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL0477201403

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977 - Page References: 128

National Grid Reference: TL 04772 01403

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 10:27:16.