List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRISTCHURCH

List entry Number: 1348233

Location

CHRISTCHURCH, RICKMANWORTH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireThree RiversDistrict AuthorityChorleywood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Jul-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158746

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 09 NW CHORLEYWOOD RICKMANSWORTH ROAD (Southwest side) Chorleywood

5/105 Christ church 16.7.75

II*

Wrongly shown on OS map as Chenies Road.Parish church.1845 by B. Ferry. Rebuilt, except tower, 1869-70 by G.E. Street. Spire raised and tower buttressed 1881-2 to Street's designs. Knapped flint with Bath and Wycombe stone dressings.Tiled roofs.Shingled spire.Early English Gothic Revival Style.4 bay nave and S aisle.2 bay chancel and S chapel. N porch and vestry. W tower. 1973 hall addition to W. Nave to N: three 3 light pointed arched windows, geometrical tracery, chamfered and hollow moulded surrounds. Plinth, continuous sill band, hood moulds, buttresses. To W is steeply gabled porch, pointed and moulded entrance arch with chamfered jambs, hood mould. Ridge cross to coped gable parapet. Inner entrance has trefoil headed inner arch with cusped outer arch, colonnettes in jambs, original strap hinged door. To W of porch a 2 light window with a cinque- foil head. Diagonal buttress to W with a moulded base. Coped parapet at E end of nave. S aisle and chapel continuously and separately roofed. 5 windows, 2:2:1 articulated by buttresses, 2 lights each with pointed heads, geometrical tracery,continuous sill band and hood mould. Diagonal buttress to W. W end of S aisle: tall pointed arched 3 light window. Towards E on S wall of S chapel is an inserted C20 entrance with a pointed head. Angle buttresses to E end which has a round light with foiled tracery. Chancel slightly lower than nave and set back slightly to N. E end tall pointed arched 3 light window, geometrical tracery. Ridge cross on coped gable parapet. Diagonal buttresses. Chancel S return pointed traceried 3 light window, quatrefoiled panelled base. N return: steeply gabled 2 storey vestry: entrance to N with trefoil arched head, strap hinged door, upper tripartite trefoiled lancet window, relieving arch, coped gable parapet, clasping buttresses. Stack pith offsets where ridge meets chancel. Flanking on chancel N wall are pointed, traceried 2 light windows. Tower divided into 3 stages by string courses. Plinth, louvred lancets and clocks in upper stage. Original clasping buttresses and c.1881 2 stage diagonal buttresses to W. Triple lancet in 2nd stage to W above 1973 addition. Moulded corbel table below broached spire with lower belfry, 8 trefoil headed openings to each side. Lucarnes with foiled openings. Interior remains much as designed and furnished by Street. 4 bay S arcade, piers of 4 half columns with shafts in angles, moulded caps, double chamfered pointed arches. Chancel arch, heavily moulded with short respond colonnettes with stiff leaf caps. Inscription below hood mould around extrados. Tall pointed tower arch with hollow and ovolo mouldings. Inner hood moulds to windows. E window has marble colonnettes in jambs with inscription around extrados. Triple traceried opening from chancel to S chapel formed by 2 intersecting pointed arches, way through to left, decorative wrought iron door and grilles fill openings. Sedilia and piscina on chancel S wall. Painted inscriptions on E wall. Nave and S aisle walls have original polychrome tiling below sill level. Scissor brace nave roof with cusped arched braces, patterned spandrels, curved wind braces. S aisle collar beam trusses with cusped arched braces. Ceiled chancel roof retains original painted decorative scheme. Stone reredos, Christ in Glory, dated 1872. Stone pulpit, semi- octagonal with foiled panels and stiff leaf frieze. Font at W end of S aisle, octagonal with foiled panels and crocketing. Oak altar table. Foiled and foliate carving, painted decoration. Screen to S chapel from S aisle, dated 1873, delicately carved traceried panels. Poppyhead finials to choir stalls. Brass lectern. 6 brass hanging lights in nave and S aisle. E window of 1872 (and others) by Clayton and Bell, some nave windows by Heaton and Butler. (Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ0360096572

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

National Grid Reference: TQ 03600 96572

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 12:45:12.