List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET

List entry Number: 1348170

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET, NORTHAW ROAD WEST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireWelwyn HatfieldDistrict AuthorityNorthaw and Cuffley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158507

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Northaw TL 20 SE NORTHAW AND NORTHAW ROAD WEST CUFFLEY

12/243 Parish Church of St Thomas a Becket -

GV II*

Church. 1881, by C Kirk and Son of Sleaford. Replacing church of 1809. N aisle added 1887, choir and vestry 1893. Rock cut stone. Slate roof. Lincolnshire Decorated style. Tall SW tower in 5 stages. Clasp buttresses with crocketed finials. Cusped parapet. 3-light ground floor windows. Clock on W face. 2- light belfry windows. Nave has 5-light W window with flowing tracery. Door in projecting gabled surround. N nave aisle has 5 eaves gables over 3-light windows, the porch gable with curved triangular traceried window. 5-light E window with flowing tracery. S aisle has small 2-light windows and an eaves corbel table. Exceptionally complete interior with elaborate wall paintings and fittings. 5-bay nave with piers and hood moulds to arches. Scissor brace roof. Similar roof to choir, painted 1893. 2-arch opening to former vestry on N and chancel chapel on S, the arches with cinguefoiled heads. Sedilia of 3 trefoiled arches. Piscina with foliage-carved bowl. Perpendicular style chancel arch and rood given 1913. Polygonal stone pulpit with richly crocketed gabled sides, stone figures at the angles. Nave and chancel walls with wall paintings depicting New Testament scenes and foliage patterns. Complete original stained glass. East window signed Ward Hughes 1882. West window Ward & Hughes 1887. 3 north aisle windows c.1895 by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. (Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL2792202312

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

National Grid Reference: TL 27922 02312

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 11:51:55.