List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FARMHOUSE AT BRIDGEFOOT FARM

List entry Number: 1347976

Location

FARMHOUSE AT BRIDGEFOOT FARM, 10, CHURCH END

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityWalkern

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 31-May-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159657

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 22 NE WALKERN CHURCH END (south side)

1/11 No 10 (farmhouse at Bridgefoot Farm) 20.10.52 (formerly listed as Bridgefoot Farmhouse)

GV II*

House. Mid C15 open hall house with 2 crosswings, hall floored over and chimney built in late C16, rear wing late Cl7 or early C18, N crosswing demolished before lean-to wash house built against N side of rear wing. Timber frame on stucco sill, roughcast with weatherboarding on ground floor of N end and remains of pargetting on E front. Steep old red tile roofs. A 2-storeys T-plan house facing E with crosswing at S, large gabled 2 storeys and attic wing projecting to rear, small gabled rear stair tower in line with the large central chimney built in the former hall against the remaining original crosswing. E front has irregular fenestration, door under the jettied and gabled crosswing at the left, and a plastered and tiled lean-to at the S end. Flush box sash windows generally, with 8/8 panes. Small 2- light, ovolo moulded, mullioned window to upper floor closet beside chimney. Blocked window to chamber over N end partly opened up and single casement inserted. Tall red brick chimney rising through front slope of roof with 4 conjoined polygonal shafts of differing forms. Sash windows to stair and upper floor of crosswing at rear, but rear wing has a jettied gable top overhang protecting the 3-light leaded casement attic window. 2- storeys late Cl7 canted bay window with transomed casements and gabled roof over. Tall, formerly external, chimney on N side of rear wing with 2 square diagonal shafts. Clasped-purlin roofs to hall and crosswing, with cambered and chamfered tie-beam and cambered collar-beam over the hall, jowled posts including one on outside of N end for demolished N crosswing, and curved tension bracing and close studding exposed internally in the N end wall. Deep moulded wooden lintol to C16 kitchen fireplace. Soffits of floor beams inserted in hall are carved in relief with a regular strapwork pattern of rectangles and ovals. Large square panels with mid-rail in framing of S wing. (RCHM (1911) 225: VCH (1912) 151-2: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL2918426525

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 151-2
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 29184 26525

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 02:07:10.