List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: REDHEATH

List entry Number: 1347875

Location

REDHEATH, SARRATT ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireThree RiversDistrict AuthoritySarratt

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Sep-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158972

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 09 SE SARRATT SARRATT ROAD

(Northeast side) Croxley Green 6/327 Redheath 1.9.53 II*

Country house, now school. 1712 front range added for C. Finch to a C16 house, now gone. Altered 1743, extended and altered 1866 for H.C. Finch. Further extended in C20. Brown-red brick with lighter red brick dressings. Hipped tiled roof. 9 bays, 1 room deep. 3 storeys. Central 3 bays project slightly. Central entrance: 8 panelled door with rusticated surround, vermiculated blocks on Roman Doric pilasters, richly carved brackets to semi-domed hood. Moulded plinth. Glazing bar sashes in moulded flush frames, gauged brick flat arched heads, those flanking and above entrance scalloped. Cyma reversa plat band over ground floor, Cyma recta floating cornices over central first floor windows. Ovolo plat band over first floor on outer sections. Small 9 pane sashes on second floor, '1712' cut into brick in recessed apron below central window. Eaves cornice. Central cupola on ridge, a C20 replacement of 1743 original. Square drum with moulded cornice, octagonal bell turret with Roman Doric columns to ogee leaded dome with weathervane finial. 3 bay right return, plat bands, altered openings. Ground floor: 2 sashes. First floor, central cross casement, small vertical casement to right, blind opening to left. Second floor: 2 light central and 1 light right casements, blind opening to left. Left return: 2 bays, plat bands, glazing bar sashes, blocked cellar windows. Rear wall has altered openings and brickwork. Ground floor lean-to addition to centre. c19 stacks on rear ridge. 1 storey C19 block to rear left: 3 bays, glazed entrance, flanking sashes, roof hipped to rear. Interior: some original bolection moulded fielded panelling on ground floor, stone fireplace in hall. (VCH 1908: Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript). C20 additions not of special interest.

Listing NGR: TQ0665796985

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1908
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977

National Grid Reference: TQ 06657 96985

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 05:51:24.