List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GREAT HYDE HALL

List entry Number: 1347838

Location

GREAT HYDE HALL, HATFIELD HEATH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthoritySawbridgeworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Oct-1971

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160771

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HATFIELD HEATH ROAD 1. 5253 (North Side) Great Hyde Hall TL 495 154:4/17 6.10.71 II* 2. Circa 1572 and later, E range c.1770 all extensively remodelled by Sir Jeffry Wyatville 1806-7 for 2nd Earl of Roden of the Jocelyn family which had owned the estate at least since the C13. Red brick E front, the rest faced with Roman cement. Courtyard plan with S range at obtuse angle to W range. An asymmetrical Cl7 2-storey 6-window rusticated brick house facing south is shown in Drapentier's engraving of 1700 (Chauncey, I, 358). Presumably extended westward and refaced to produce the symmetrical composition with pilasters and corner towers shown on Oldfield's drawing (HRO: V, 448). The present red brick E range containing the Dining Room was built c.1770; refaced C16/C17 2-storey range remains extending to the N of it. Late C18 service range on the N side of the courtyard. Wyatville remodelled the S range, built a matching entrance range on the W, and roofed over the courtyard to provide a Saloon and stairshaft and created a suite of 3 rooms on the ground floor of the S range. The interior was renovated in 1869 and alterations were made between 1897 and 1904 for the 6th Earl of Roden. NW wing c.l940-60 for school. Divided into flats 1978. Facade of E range, red brick with parapet and central 3 window projection. I window each side. Rubbed brick arches. Sash windows with Gd floor cills at floor level. Wyatville's W facade stuccoed with large square corner pavilions rather higher than the centre. 2 storey central projection. Low plinth and crowning each part a narrow frieze and moulded cornice with blocking course. Roofs suppressed. Clasping each external corner of the pavilions a giant order pilaster with sunk panel to shaft, palm capital and sunk panel corner block. 5 windows, recessed sashes with 6/6 panes, shallow segmental arched heads and projecting surrounds to 1st floor. Wider segmental openings in pavilions on Gd floor with triple sash to N with 2/3:6/9:2/3 panes, and later French window to S. Segmental arched doorway framed by stucco panelled pilasters, entablature and shallow triangular pediment. Slender projecting wooden porch probably c. 1869. Narrow 2/4 paned C19 sash windows inserted next to Gd floor 6/6 paned sash windows symmetrically. Massing of S front same as W front except that the broader central feature is of central projection, has its own shorter pilasters supporting the entablature directly, has its central 1st floor 6/6 paned sash window flanked by narrower 6/6 sashes without surrounds, and each side bay between pilasters has two 6/6 paned windows with surrounds, to each floor. Depressed 6/6 sashes to second floor at corners. Larger central door opening with shallow segmental arched frame and French doors. From W door the Vestibule rises three steps in middle and has a Greek Doric screen in the E apse, similar to Soane's Pitzhanger (1805). The impressive Saloon rises through 2 storeys with central circular skylight over a shallow dome on flat arches and pilasters with excellent scroll ornament. Openings, balconies, etc. appear to have been altered. The staircase was rebuilt according to Pevsner in 1920 by H S East. The Dining Room in the E range has delicate c.l700 doorcases and frieze with acanthus and sphinxes in panels. Of the Wyatville suite in the S range, the Drawing Room (SW) is unaltered and combines an oval and rectangle on plan with deep corner niches. It has a marble fire surround carved with vine ornament and rams' heads. The central Ante Room gives onto the garden and semi-circular niches flank the door to the Saloon. The Library (SE)is lower and has been altered. In the grounds moulded stonework and a capital said to be from Smirke's General Post Office (1824-9) demolished 1912. As a result of its remodelling under Wyatville, the building is of interest in the development of architectural taste. (D Linstrum Sir Jeffry Wyatville (1972):77: Pevsner 2nd Ed Rev (1977) 213: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL4958715397

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977 - Page References: 213
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Lindstrum, D - Title: Sir Jeffry Wyatville Architect to the King - Date: 1972 - Page References: 77

National Grid Reference: TL 49587 15397

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 11:02:28.