List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MUNDENBURY (60 METRES TO NORTH NORTH EAST OF ST NICHOLAS'S CHURCH)

List entry Number: 1347555

Location

MUNDENBURY (60 METRES TO NORTH NORTH EAST OF ST NICHOLAS'S CHURCH), WOOD END ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityGreat Munden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jan-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 161301

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Great Munden TL GREAT MUNDEN WOOD END ROAD (north side)

11/9 Mundenbury (60m to NNE of 24.1.67 St Nicholas's Church) formerly listed under rural district GV of Ware) II* House. Circa 1700 (brick inscribed '1702' formerly in E chimney stack) incorporating older part at E. Red brick with random black headers but upper part of end wall timber framed and weatherboarded. Old red tile gambrel roof. Older part at E a lower timber framed and weatherboarded wing under steep old red tile roof, one and a half storeys, gabled to front and rear. A large square house of 2 storeys, attic and cellar, 5 windows wide, facing S. Hybrid construction with brick box but timber framing for internal walls and part of E end. Transitional deep- plan with central entrance, rear stair and end chimneys. Shallow service rooms at rear behind 2 front rooms. Dining Room at E is former hall with wide open-fireplace with niches in back wall. Parlour on W and chamber over have smaller open fireplaces with curved backs. Fenestration at rear designed for timber framed single-storey, rear kitchen (demolished in later C20) reached by steps in rear E room at lower level. Contemporary stair continues up to 4 attics. Symmetrical S front has a projecting plinth, moulded floor band and moulded wooden eaves cornice. 2 lean-to dormers with 2-light casement windows in steep tiled front slope to gambrel roof. Gauged brick flat arches to flush box sash windows with moulded architraves and 6/6 panes. Central doorcase c1800 with fluted panelled pilasters and panelled hood on cross-fluted ogee brackets to half glazed door with moulded surround, panelled reveals and rectangular fanlight. Rear elevation simpler with high plinth, plain floor band, box eaves and segmental arches to flush box sash windows with C19 sashes. Interior has ovolo-moulded 2-panel doors with H hinges, and fine closed-string dog-leg, stair with moulded pine string but oak newels (with ball finials and knob pendants) and oak handrail and turned balusters. Oak treads and winders but pine risers. A fine house of c1700, of considerable interest for the transitional nature of its planning and construction.

Listing NGR: TL3555124242

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 35551 24242

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 08:44:40.