List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MINSDEN CHAPEL AT NORTH EAST CORNER OF MINSDEN PLANTATION GRID REFERENCE TL 1982 2458

List entry Number: 1347462

Location

MINSDEN CHAPEL AT NORTH EAST CORNER OF MINSDEN PLANTATION GRID REFERENCE TL 1982 2458, WHITWELL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireNorth HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityLangley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162866

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 12 SE LANGLEY WHITWELL ROAD (West side)

4/74 Minsden Chapel at 27.5.68 NE corner of Minsden Plantation Grid Ref TL 1982 2458

II

Ruined chapel. Probably C14, mentioned in 1450, a ruin by end of C17. Flint rubble, plastered externally, with stone dressings. Remains of red brick bellcote at W gable. A small 2-cells church with nave and narrow square ended chancel. Diagonal buttresses at E end of chancel and W end of nave, but set-back corner buttress to E end of nave suggest that the church is of one build. 2 other buttresses to each side of nave. Line of creasing of lower chancel roof on E end of nave. Central doorway and 2 holes for windows on S side of nave. N doorway in same bay but further to W. Much of S wall of nave stands to full height and W wall with put log holes at 3 levels. N wall more fragmentary. Rough opening for chancel arch in E wall. Half-metre high walls of chancel with tall SE angle pier. Line of beam sockets across E face of W wall of nave at eaves height. Inscribed stone floor slab in chancel 'IN MEMORIAM/ REGINALD L HINE/HISTORIAN/OF HITCHIN/1883-1949/REQUIESCAT IN PACE'. Hine's ashes were scattered here. The church was dedicated to St. Nicholas and served the hamlets of Preston, Langley and Minsden until church rates were levied in this area for St. Mary's Hitchin and the church here fell into ruin. Scheduled Ancient Monument (Herts No.14). (RCHM (1911)137-8: VCH (1912)18: Pevsner (1977)247-8).

Listing NGR: TL1982024580

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 18
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 247-8
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 19820 24580

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 12:56:11.