List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1347429

Location

THE MANOR HOUSE, WYMONDLEY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireNorth HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityWymondley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 28-May-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162790

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WYMONDLEY WYMONDLEY ROAD TL 2128 (North side) Great Wymondley

10/178 The Manor House 27.5.68 (formerly listed as Manor Farmhouse)

GV II*

House. C15 probably for Alington family, early C17 rebuild of hall range with 2-storeys, chimney on site of cross-passage, and 2-storeys porch. Alterations in late C17. Timber frame with brick sill, roughcast, ground floor cased in red brick. Steep old red tile roofs. Slate roof at rear to E half of hall range. 2-storeys house with hall range and 2 crosswings, in NW angle of crossroads, facing S. Jettied upper floor to S end of W crosswing, hall range, and upper storey of porch jettied on 3 sides. 2 diagonal square shafts to internal chimney rising in rear roofslope. E wall chimney with 2 diagonal shafts on E side of E wing. Lean-to ground level cellar to rear of E wing. 2 windows to each floor of hall range, 2-lights casements with 3-lights casement below jetty to LH of porch. Lattice leaded casements renewed. 2-lights casement window to each floor of gable of E wing. Small 2-lights ovolo-moulded window in each side of lower storey of open porch. Old moulded plank door in heavy moulded frame with ovolo and fillet and jamb stops. Dragon-beams exposed in ceiling of porch. Interior has exposed frame with jowled posts, curved braces to tie-beams on 1st floor, paired tension braces in front and sidewalls of wings, clasped purlin roofs, W wing has undivided 1st floor, similar 2-bays E wing has had tie-beam removed. Chamber over hall has small high blocked 2-light ovolo windows flanking front window. Ovolo moulded axial beam in this room. Stone fireplace with 4-centred opening and double ovolo moulded jambs with high stops. Foliage and shields in spandrels. When old service rooms in W wing made into kitchen a larder was provided in a W end extension, and a staircase included. The parlour in the E wing has a fireplace with a 4-centred chamfered brick opening and canted rear corners, staircase in bay to rear. Unusually extensive remains of wall paintings uncovered in 5 rooms. Early C16 fragmentary black letter painted inscriptions in chamber over kitchen. Other scenes late C16 or early C17 in parlour and in the other 1st floor rooms. Parlour: a frieze of black-letter text in elaborate frames, diamond and rectangular, above walls of geometric and floral pattern with shallow quatrefoils enclosing sprays of flowers. Chamber over parlour: on N window wall, shallow frieze of squares with 4-lobed ornaments above wall with repeat pattern of diamonds and scrolls containing a Tudor rose and decorative motifs. Black and white with touches of green and pale red. In chamber over hall a diamond pattern framing flower motifs and a rectangular panel over fireplace. The chamber in the upper part of the porch has a pedimented architectural composition on its N wall with indications of capitals. (RCHM (1911)106: VCH (1912)182: Kelly (1914)295: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL2134828700

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire - Date: 1910 - Page References: 106
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Hertfordshire - Date: 1914 - Journal Title: Kellys Directory - Page References: 295
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, A - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1912 - Page References: 182

National Grid Reference: TL 21348 28700

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2014 at 08:31:50.