List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MAYDENCROFT MANOR

List entry Number: 1347391

Location

MAYDENCROFT MANOR, MAYDENCROFT LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireNorth HertfordshireDistrict AuthoritySt. Ippolyts

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 28-May-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162668

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST IPPOLLITTS MAYDENCROFT LANE TL 1827 (North side) Gosmore

8/56 Maydencroft Manor 9.6.52 (formerly listed as Maydencroft Farmhouse)

GV II*

House. Late medieval former open hall house in E part of N wing, C16 E wing possibly built as a separate house, united and hall floored over early C17 ('EC/1615' on oak pillar supporting inserted floor), later in C17 originally unheated block to W of hall, subsequently kitchen added to N wing, gabled stair turret on E side of E wing, and L-shaped lean-to service room in NE angle of kitchen and hall. Interior features of early C18 and some brick casing. Renovated 1980-81. Timber frame on red brick sill, frame exposed with plaster infill panels in E wing and W gable of N wing, roughcast 1st floor of N wing, red brick casing to ground floor of N wing and lower buildings to N of N wing. Steep old red tile roofs. A large 2-storeys house on a moated site with 2 long wings joined at right-angles and 1 1/2-storeys service wing extending to N of N wing. N wing faces S, and E wing faces W with entrance near junction with N wing and jettied S gable end. Irregular fenestration with 3-lights C16 leaded casement windows (one of 4 lights to hall and C19 casements each of 6-lights to jettied S end of E wing. N wing has 3 windows to each floor on S front. E wing has 4 windows to 1st floor and 3 to ground floor, that to left of door an early C17 4-lights ovolo moulded mullioned window moved here from kitchen wing on N. Battened oak door in old hollow chamfered doorway with 4-centred head. Similar blocked door at S end of this W front noted in works in 1965. Front shows 4 structural bays. Entrance into N bay with stair projection to rear. Late C17 cut-string stair with barley-sugar twist balusters, panelled newells all lit by large 9-lights mullioned and transomed window. Large 3-bays room to S has chamfered cross-beams supported by brackets on the bay-posts, early C18 panelling with dado and cornice, large open fireplace in middle of rear (E) wall but indications that the S end bay may originally have been partitioned off. Large projecting rear wall chimney of flint and clunch with 2 diagonal brick shafts. Bolection moulded marble fire surround added in C20. Similar large rear wall chimney on N side of hall in E part of N wing has 3 diagonal shafts and 4-centred fireplace now blocked on 1st floor. The medieval hall was of one bay with a narrow screens passage bay to W the whole forming a square plan with smoke blackened clasped-purlin roof. E wall of hall removed and room extended to E with stone floor and Doric column dated 1615 on line of former hall wall. Convex curved tension braces, heavy jowled posts, and long curved braces to tie-beam in hall bay. Later W block has edge-halved scarf joint with bridled butts in rear wallplate. Added rearwall chimney to heat W room. Kitchen to N originally open to roof has large internal chimney with oven to rear (N) and lobby entrance from W. 2 gabled dormers at eaves and 4-lights casement window to ground floor. (RCHM (1911)130 no. 2: VCH (1912)25: Pevsner (1977)148: RCHM Typescript: inf Mrs. Rance, and the owners).

Listing NGR: TL1818927421

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire - Date: 1910 - Page References: 130
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, A - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1912 - Volume: 3 - Page References: 25
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977 - Page References: 148

National Grid Reference: TL 18189 27421

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2014 at 04:38:58.