List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1347342

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, ASHWELL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireNorth HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityHinxworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162216

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 24 SW HINXWORTH ASHWELL ROAD (South west side) Hinxworth 1/104 Church of 27.5.68 St. Nicholas

GV II*

Parish Church. C14 tower and nave. C15 alterations. Circa 1830 rebuilt chancel. Flint rubble with clunch dressings. Chancel is chequered red brick with stone dressings. 2-stage W tower with angle buttresses and battlements. Mostly clunch, it has a 2-light traceried W window and similar belfry windows. C15 S porch with shallow-gabled parapet and 4-centre-arched door in moulded square frame. W side of porch has a hooded 3-light window; corresponding E window blocked. The nave is battlemented and has on N and S sides a 3-light traceried window with 6 trefoiled lancets in tympanum. Other windows are 1 and 2 lights, except for 3-light net-traceried E window. N nave door with simple C14 pointed arch. Interior: Aisle-less nave with late C19 panelled roof retaining 4 C15 carved wooden corbel figures. In splay of N nave window and in SE corner of nave are 2 canopied niches. Spiral rood staircase next to N window. Big W arch with semi-octagonal shafts. Mis-shapen C14 chancel arch. The chancel has panelled ceiling with simple bosses. Circa 1830 reeded dado and altar back. Good early-mid C19 stained glass. Brasses in chancel: on N wall, mid C15; on floor; man, woman and 6 children, believed to be John Lambard, Alderman of London (d.1487). Mid C18 pulpit with fielded panels. C16-17 Rector's chair. Small mid C19 octagonal font. (Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL2373440347

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977

National Grid Reference: TL 23734 40347

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 07:04:27.