List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1347337

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireNorth HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityWallington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162283

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 23 SE WALLINGTON THE STREET (North west side) 6/150 Church of 27.5.68 St. Mary

GV II*

Parish church. Nave possibly C14. N aisle and chapel, W tower and nave windows all early to mid C15. S porch late C15. Chancel rebuilt 1864 by Rev. G.R.Tuck. Restored 1913-20 by G.Lucas. Flint rubble, split flint chancel, stone dressings. Lead roof to nave, slate roofed chancel and S porch. 3 bay nave: 2 large 3 light windows under 4 centred arches on S wall flanking porch; cinquefoiled head to left. 2 light low side window with square head to right. S wall of chancel has single 3 light window and pointed arch entrance to right both with foliate stops to labels. 5 light traceried E window with mask stops. 2 stage angle buttresses to chancel. Steeper pitch to lower chancel roof. Continuous 5 bay N aisle and chapel with large 4 centred arched headed 3 light cinquefoiled windows. 4 centred arch entrance under a square head below a smaller window in 2nd bay from right. End diagonal buttresses with straight buttresses articulating bays. E chapel and W aisle windows have 3 lights with rectilinear tracery under a 4 centred arch. Corner gargoyles at cornice level and in gable above E chapel window. Embattled parapet survives only on west wall of N aisle. W tower of 3 stages with diagonal 2 stage buttresses. W window in lower stage has 2 trefoiled lights with quatrefoil above. Narrow window in 2nd stage on S side. Four 2 light bell chamber windows with damaged stone surrounds. Outer entrance to S porch: shafted jambs with moulded capitals and bases to arched inner order set in outer order with moulded square head, pierced spandrels. 3 light windows to E and W. Inner entrance: 2 centred arch with moulded chamfered reveals with label. Original porch roof with cambered beams. Remains of stoup in NE corner. Interior: 2 centred tower arch of 3 orders, capitals and bases to semi-octagonal responds. Door to bell chamber stairs in SW corner of tower. C15 nave roof with hollow chamfered tie beams. Rood stair in NE angle of nave with openings at ground and loft levels. 2 centred chancel arch of 1864, heavily moulded with stiff leaf capitals. Ceiled chancel roof braced on carved corbels. 4 centred arch of mid C15 from chancel to N chapel. 2 wave moulded orders, inner resting on shafts with moulded bases and bell capitals. A stone carved angel corbel in NE corner of chapel. Remains of a C15 piscina on a semi-octagonal moulded pedestal in NW corner of chapel. N arcade between nave and aisle has pointed arches of 2 moulded orders similar to chapel arch. Each pier has 4 attached semi-circular shafts, larger longitudinally, with moulded capitals and bases. N aisle roof has original moulded principals alternately braced onto wall corbels and carrying 4 timber carved angels. Foliate bosses at intersection of purlin and principals. Most of nave and aisle seating is C15 benches. C12 Purbeck marble octagonal font bowl with shallow pointed arches. C15 panelled screen between N chapel and N aisle. Open upper panels. All panels traceried, crocketed 4 centred head over door. Altar tomb to John Prysot below E window on N wall: panels of figures in crocketed ogee canopies alternating with shields bearing arms of Piggot and Prysot recessed in cinquefoil arches. Left return has 2 panels and one niche figure, a shield and Pelican in her Piety. Slab has traces of indentation. One bay to W a tomb with plain C20 base and slab with indents for 2 figures, children, shields and Trinity. Slab tomb in N chapel floor to Thomas Bowles,d.1740. Slab tomb in nave floor to Richard Blow, d.1698.Window above John Prysot's tomb has glass of c.1450 with arms of Piggot and Prysot flanking Saints including St. Catherine. E window glass by Messrs. Clayton and Bell, late C19. (VCH 1923. Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TL2923633546

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1923
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977

National Grid Reference: TL 29236 33546

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 03:22:49.