List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST VINCENT

List entry Number: 1347335

Location

CHURCH OF ST VINCENT, CALDECOTE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireNorth HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityNewnham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162265

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 23 NW NEWNHAM CALDECOTE ROAD (North east side) 3/133 Church of 27.5.68 St. Vincent

GV II*

Parish Church, some of nave walling possibly C12. Chancel rebuilt or lengthened early C13; S aisle and W tower c.1340 or earlier. 1420-40 repairs by John of Wheathampstead, Abbot of St. Albans, probably including E window, stair turret and S porch. Renovated 1881. Clunch rubble masonry with dressed stone visible on stair turret. Cement rendered with incised lines to imitate ashlar. Roof not visible, tiles on S porch. Nave: 3 bays. N wall has chamfered arched blocked entrance to right and to left a single square headed C15 window of two cinquefoiled lights - this the only window in the Church without a C19 label mould. Three square headed two light C15 clerestorey windows above. Similar S clerestorey. Chancel: N wall has two simple early C13 lancets. E window of C15 form: three lights below unusual tracery. S wall with small doorway between 2 windows of 2 trefoiled lights and pierced heads. S aisle: blocked window on E wall, 2 windows with C19 tracery on S wall. C15 two light window on W wall. S porch: C15 four centred arch entrance under a square head with mask label stops and moulded reveals, blank shields in quatrefoils in spandrels. 2 light trefoiled windows on E and W walls of porch. Tower: tall 2 light cinquefoiled window with pierced head under pointed arch to W wall. Four bell chamber 2 light trefoiled windows under square heads. Semi octagonal stair turret. Two stage angle buttresses to tower. Two stage diagonal buttresses on chancel and S aisle with similar straight buttresses to N wall and S aisle. Battle- mented parapet throughout over string course; chancel parapet added C19. Interior: chancel arch; two chamfered orders, no responds. S arcade has 4 bays with octagonal shafts, moulded bases and capitals, pointed arches of two chamfered orders. Tower arch with similar details plus label. N and S walls of tower carried on arches springing from W wall and return of tower arch. Door to stair turret in SE corner of tower. Chamfered arch entrance from S aisle to S porch under segmental rear arch. Plank door with two wrought iron strap hinges in situ, probably C15. S porch roof with C15 roof timbers; moulded principals, purlins and collars, brattished cornices with timber carved angels to E and W. Remains of wall paintings survive on N wall: late C15 St. Christopher opposite entrance. Fragments of wheel design to right. To E of eastern nave window a hooded figure; also a consecration cross of unusual form on SE face of stair turret. C15 octagonal font at W end of nave with panels of cusped quatrefoils enclosing blank shields on bowl and cinquefoil headed panels on shaft. Some quarries of C15 glass in W window of S aisle and in S clerestorey. Two brass memorials at E end of chancel. (VCH 1923. Pevsner 1977. E. Clive Rouse The Newnham Murals 1963).

Listing NGR: TL2433437637

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Rouse, E C - Title: The Newnham Murals - Date: 1963
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1923
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977

National Grid Reference: TL 24334 37637

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 10:18:06.