List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1347212

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireSt. AlbansDistrict AuthorityHarpenden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 163572

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 1314 SW HARPENDEN CHURCH GREEN (north side) HARPENDEN

16/37 Parish Church of St Nicholas 26.7.51

II*

Parish Church. C15 W tower. Remainder of church rebuilt in polychrome early-Gothic style by W. Slater in 1862. N aisle added 1898-9 by R. Brown and Sons. E end of church reordered in 1962. The tower, which was restored in 1980, is flint rubble with stone and cement dressings. 3 stages. Large stepped angle buttresses. Octagonal stair turret at SW angle. Crenellated parapet. Lead spike. Moulded cement bands and plinth. W door has deep hollowed surround. 3-light window above with cinquefoil lights. 2-light belfry window with trefoiled lights. Hood moulds. Rest of church is rock-face stone with smooth stone dressings. Flush sandstone bands and polychrome arch heads. Machine tile roof. Simple bar tracery windows in a mid-C12 French style. Aisle windows are 2 lights with quatrefoils; transept ends 3-light; E end with 5 lights and an oculus with 4 quatrefoils. Interior has a 5-bay nave. Drum sandstone piers with moulded bases and leaf-carved capitals. Aisles have broad arches on E and W sides of transepts, each with continuous roll mouldings. Chancel has 2 bays either side, each with a drum pier. At W end of S aisle is a good C12 Purbeck marble font: octagonal with 2 shallow pointed panels on each face; 8 round supporting colonettes. Brasses: 1456 to William Anabull; 1559 to William Cressye, both near pulpit. Good C18 and early-C19 wall monuments on N and S interior walls of tower including (N wall) large monument to Godman Jenkyn (d.1746): obelisk with armorial plaque, sarcophagus base with lobe fluting; black and white marble. C18 monument above with fluted Doric pilasters and broken segmental pediment. S wall has 6 smaller wall plaques. (Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL1326514427

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

National Grid Reference: TL 13265 14427

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 06:12:01.