List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1347004

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East Riding of YorkshireUnitary AuthorityNorth Ferriby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 164781

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTH FERRIBY CHURCH ROAD SE 92 NE (east side) 6/23 Church of All Saints 7.2.68 GV II Church. 1845-8. By J L Pearson. Coursed oolitic limestone rubble with freestone dressings and graduated slate roofs. Geometrical style. 3-stage west tower with broach spire, 4-bay aisled nave with north and south porches, 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Tower: moulded plinth and angle buttresses up to bell stage. Lancet with geometrical tracery to ringing chamber. String course, pointed 2-light belfry opening with geometrical tracery under a hoodmould with face stops. Parapet with small blank quatrefoils and grotesques to corners. Broach spire with 2-light lucarnes filled with geometrical tracery under gablets with poppy-head finials. Cross finial. South aisle: diagonal buttresses, 3 two-light pointed windows with geometrical tracery under hoodmoulds with face and foliage stops. South porch: pointed door under hoodmould with face stops. Raised coped gable on kneelers enriched with foliage carving. Cross finial. 4 triple lancet windows under running hoodmoulds to clerestory. Raised coped gable with cross finial on kneelers with gablets. Chancel: gableted angle buttresses. Central pointed priests' door of 2 moulded orders, the outer oil nook-shafts under a running hoodmould and gablet with beast stops. To left is a large 2-light pointed window with geometrical tracery under a hoodmould with carved stops; to right, a similar, smaller window. Pointed 5-light east window with geometrical tracery under a hoodmould with monarch stops. Similar fenestration to north side of church. Interior: north and south arcades of 4 double-chamfered arches on alternating cylindrical and octagonal piers. Pointed double-chamfered tower arch. Pointed double- chamfered chancel arch on responds with attached shafts. In north-east corner of the chancel is a memorial to Luke Livingstone, died 1713, and his wife Elizabeth: chest on moulded plinth: 2 panels (one for each inscription) to chest. Shallow cornice. Full-sized effigies kneeling in prayer: Mrs Livingstone looks up to the heavens while her husband looks at her. Behind, pilasters with dosserets support a scrolled pediment containing a coat of arms. Octagonal font with sunk quatrefoils and shields with religious emblems and floral bosses. Cylindrical pier ringed with 8 marble colonnettes on a cushion base.

Listing NGR: SE9889825784

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 98898 25784

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2014 at 09:18:05.