List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KNIGHTSLAND FARM HOUSE

List entry Number: 1346930

Location

KNIGHTSLAND FARM HOUSE, ST ALBANS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireHertsmereDistrict AuthoritySouth Mimms

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-May-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Aug-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 164277

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 29 NW POTTERS BAR ST. ALBANS ROAD (West side) Barnet

8/224 Knightsland Farm 20.5.49 House (Formerly listed as Knightsland - II* Farm and Barn to N.W.)

House. C16 origin, rebuilt c.1600. Refaced late C17, altered mid C18, extended C19 and C20. Timber frame, cased in brick, tiled roof. Hall with single long crosswing to right. 2 storeys and attic. 3 windows to main range. Entrance to right of centre with porch. Glazing bar sashes under cambered brick heads. Brick plinth. Continuous plat band between storeys, stepped up over rear, original, entrance. Roof hipped at junction with wing. Single gabled dormer to front with 2 light leaded casements. Left gable end stack. Crosswing with large gable to front and hip to rear. Ridge lower than main range which appears to have been built over earlier wing. Catslide to right over C20 extensions. Crosswing probably extended to rear with single storey C19 dairy extension to right. 2 large stacks and 2 similar dormers on right return of crosswing. To rear in re-entrant angle full height square stair turret with separately gabled roof. Rear has glazing bar sashes and 2 more dormers. Interior: through passage with panelled screen to hall. Re-set linenfold panelling with C17 fluted pilasters to panelled chimney-piece on ground floor to rear of crosswing. Original semi-octagonal stair with square newel post. At top original doorway with 4 centred arch and moulded jambs. Clasped purlin roof. Principal features of interest are wall paintings of c.1590-1610 on first floor. In main range: 4 panels representing the parable of the Prodigal Son. In crosswing: a brocade pattern with floral frieze. By tradition Admiral J.Byng lived here c.1750 during the erection of Wrotham Park (q.v.). (RCHM Typescript: VCH(Middlesex)1976: Pevsner 1977: Trans.EHAS, vol.9, pt.2).

Listing NGR: TQ2335998500

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cockburn, J S, King, H P F, McDonnell, K G T, The Victoria History of the County of Middlesex, (1976)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society, , Vol. 9, ()

National Grid Reference: TQ 23359 98500

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 11:31:38.