List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1346925

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, ASHBY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North East LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityAshby cum Fenby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Apr-1967

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 164366

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUMBERSIDE CLEETHORPES 5263

TA 20 SE ASHBY CUM FENBY ASHBY LANE (east side, off)

7/1 Church of Saint Peter 4.1.67 GV II* Parish church. C12 nave, C13 tower; nave arcade, north aisle and chancel rebuilt in C17, the latter incorporating C14 windows. Restored 1845, tower repaired 1886, west end restored 1910, tower restored 1959. Squared ironstone and chalk, rubble and flint; brick to chancel; limestone and ironstone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. West tower with west entrance, 3- bay nave with 4-bay north arcade, 2-bay chancel. Quoins. 2-stage tower: moulded plinth, restored pointed chamfered door, restored C14 pointed 2- light traceried window, line of former nave gable to east, stringcourse. Tall pointed 2-light belfry openings (those to north and south partly restored) wiLh Y-tracery on a shaft, dogtooth decoration and plain hoodmoulds. Weathered angle gargoyles. Restored coped ashlar parapet. Nave: section of blocked C12 round-headed south door to left; C14 pointed 3- light window with reticulated tracery, similar window with C19 tracery, and C14 - C15 square-headed 3-light trefoiled window. North aisle: single-light and 3-light mullioned windows beneath timber lintels; C20 brick-mullioned 3- light west window. Chancel: rubble to lower sections with brick above, buttresses to east. Re-set pointed chamfered south door and pointed 2-light windows with good reticulated tracery, hoodmould and headstops. Interior. Pointed double-chamfered tower arch, inner order on fine carved head corbels. Arcade of one pointed double-chamfered arch and 3 plain round arches of 2 orders, probably re-built in C17, on C13 keeled quatrefoil piers, one with moulded capital and circular abacus, the others plainer, perhaps contemporary with arches. C17 chancel arch with continuous double chamfer. Monuments: in tower a good early C14 knight effigy with legs crossed and lion at feet; fine ashlar standing wall monument in chancel to Suzanna Dury of 1606 with surround of fluted Corinthian pilasters carrying a bold cornice, round-headed niche with putti in spandrels, carved intrados and inscribed tablet over later C17 two-thirds life-size figure of reclining woman on sarcophagus lid supported by 2 hounds; fine mid C17 standing ashlar monument bearing traces of painting to Sir William Wray (died 1616) and Lady Frances Wray (died 1647), 3 by 2 bays, with Corinthian columns supporting inscribed entablature and canopy with elaborate carved arms above, over full-size reclining figures of Wray and wife, kneeling daughter beside them, infant at feet, and two small kneeling figures of sons in armour beside base to north; black marble floor slab to Sir William Wray of 1669 with inscribed white marble border. C14-C15 font with octagonal bowl carved with mouchettes and quatrefoils in circles, shafted column and moulded base. C11 - C12 pillar piscina at west end with quatrefoil shaft, scalloped capital and square top containing C20 alms box. Central section of C14 oak rood screen under tower arch: central opening flanked by two and a half panels each side, with octagonal columns and cusped trefoiled ogee arches, 2 deep, plain panels below and later frieze above. Fragments of C14 glass, including portions of dragon, in chancel south windows. Two bells in nave dated 1699 and 1725. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 172.

Listing NGR: TA2545400949

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and John, H - Title: The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire - Date: 1964 - Page References: 172

National Grid Reference: TA 25454 00949

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 06:01:45.