List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH FARM HOUSE

List entry Number: 1346866

Location

CHURCH FARM HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireHertsmereDistrict AuthorityAldenham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Sep-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 164049

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 19 NW ALDENHAM ALDENHAM (South side)

6/2 Church Farm House 1.9.53

GV II

House. C17 or earlier origins. Front range early C18. C20 extensions. Timber frame to original house to rear, cased and extended in red brick with burnt headers. Tiled roofs. 5 bay front. 2 storeys and attic. Central entrance: traceried, rectangular fanlight, architrave, bracketed, dentilled hood. Flush frame glazing bar sashes with gauged brick, flat arched heads. 2 plat bands, lower returned. Sprocket eaves. 3 hipped dormers with 2-light casements, some leaded lights. End stacks. Gable end parapets with kneelers to gambrel roof with lower second ridge behind. Attached to rear is a l-bay lower wing dated 1682 on tie beam to rear inside. Entrance with side lights under hood. First floor leaded light casement. Extending further back is timber framed earlier house, probably 4 bays, possibly originally an open hall. 1 storey and attic. Casements, hipped dormers. Left return from front has 1 attic sash and a blocked window. Set back to left an early C20 extension following C18 house in material and detail. Further C20 extensions to rear of C17 house. Interior: some exposed timber in original house, chamfered binding beams, curved braces. (Hertfordshire Archaeology, vol.6, 1978, p.78).

Listing NGR: TQ1393998406

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Hertfordshire Archaeology' in Hertfordshire Archaeology, , Vol. 6, (1978), 78

National Grid Reference: TQ 13939 98406

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 04:08:57.