List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1346864

Location

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCHSIDE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityBarrow upon Humber

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Oct-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165803

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 0621-0721 BARROW UPON HUMBER CHURCHSIDE (west side)

14/5 Church of the Holy Trinity (formerly listed as 6.11.67 Holy Trinity Church)

GV I

Parish Church. C13 north arcade and chancel, late C13 south arcade, C14-C15 tower and aisles. Restored in 1841, 1856. Restorations of 1868-9 by Kirk and Parry of Sleaford included rebuilding north aisle, new chancel arch, south porch, new roofs to aisles and chancel. Chancel east wall rebuilt 1897. Limestone ashlar tower; squared limestone and limestone ashlar south aisle with rendered plinth; rock-faced ashlar north aisle with rendered brick and chalk rubble west wall; chalk rubble and brick chancel with limestone ashlar east wall and dressings. Slate roofs. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and 3-bay chancel. 2-stage tower: moulded plinth, angle buttresses with set-offs. Tall first stage has pointed moulded west door with hoodmould and weathered headstops, pointed 3-light window above with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould; C20 clockfaces to north and south, moulded string course. Stepped-in top stage with angle pilasters, pointed 2-light belfry openings with Perpendicular tracery and head corbels above supporting pilaster strips. Moulded cornice with head stops, embattled parapet with tapered angle pinnacles. North aisle: C19 buttresses, 2 and 3-light square-headed trefoiled north windows, pointed 3- light east window with geometrical tracery; C16 pointed 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould, set in contemporary brickwork. South aisle: wide chamfered ashlar-coped plinth, moulded cillband; square- headed 3-light traceried windows, pointed 2-light traceried west window, C19 pointed 3-light east window with reticulated tracery in rebuilt wall. Chancel: C19 angle buttresses, C18 and C19 brick buttresses to north and south. South side has pointed chamfered door with moulded imposts and hoodmould, blocked lancet, pointed 2-light plate traceried window with trefoiled lights and pierced trefoil above, pointed 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould, and C19 segmental-headed 2-light window with Perpendicular tracery. 2 C13 lancets to north, C19 stepped lancets to east. South porch has C19 restored pointed shafted outer arch with hoodmould and headstops, stone benches inside, and pointed moulded inner arch with hoodmould. Interior. 5-bay north arcade: four late C12 - early C13 west bays with plain round arches of 2 orders on cylindrical piers and west respond with scalloped capitals, octagonal abaci, plain moulded bases and square plinths; late C13 inserted east bay with pointed double-chamfered arch, keeled quatrefoil pier and re-set cylindrical respond similar to west. 4-bay south arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches on keeled responds and single octagonal, cylindrical and filleted quatrefoil piers with plain moulded capitals and bases. C14 pointed moulded tower arch. Trefoiled ogee-headed piscina with mutilated bowl to south aisle. C19 pointed double- chamfered chancel arch on corbels. Chancel has ornate C19 east lancets with shafts and moulded arches, low rendered arch to organ chamber, segmental- arched piscina to south with mutilated bowl, square recess to north. C19 roofs throughout. Monuments in chancel: late C17 - early C18 wall tablet to RK, marble wall tablet to Roger Uppleby of 1780 with carved urn on pedestal, marble wall tablet to George Uppleby of 1816 with carved arms and crest by Taylor of York, early C18 floor slab to James Houseman and family; in south aisle, wall tablet to William Broxholme of 1684 with carved arms and crest. Painted and restored C14-C15 oak rood screen to chancel: central arch flanked by 4 traceried panels with moulded shafts. C13-C14 font with otagonal bowl on octagonal shaft and base. N. Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 179; Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers, 1869, vol 10, pt 1, p.XV; Drawing by C Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: TA0721221434

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers - Date: 1869 - Journal Title: Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers - Volume: 10 - Page References: 15
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Harris, J and Antram, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire - Date: 1989 - Page References: 179

National Grid Reference: TA 07214 21433

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 12:36:54.