List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1346861

Location

THE OLD RECTORY, DONCASTER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityGunness

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-May-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165796

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 81 SW GUNNESS DONCASTER ROAD (east side)

3/39 The Old Rectory -

GV II

Rectory, now house. 1864-6, with minor alterations of 1885-6, by the diocesan architect, James Fowler of Louth. Rock-faced limestone with ashlar dressings, plain tiled roof with lead copings and wrought iron finials. Gothic Revival style. 3 rooms wide by 2 rooms deep with rear services extension. 2 storeys, irregular fenestration. Balanced asymmetrical front: central full height bay containing entrance and stairs projects under a hipped roof, with another projecting bay to the right. Chamfered plinth, flush ashlar quoins, moulded string course. Plank door with decorative strap hinges in ashlar surround with flanking colonnettes and moulded lintel with small casements to left and right, the latter with leaded lights. To the right a 3-light window divided by colonnettes with foliated capitals. First floor has a large cross mullion and transom stair window and a narrow sash in the central bay, a smaller cross window on the left and a 3-light window divided by square foliated mullions on the right. Pointed relieving arches to openings in the central bay. llodi,,lli,on eaves cornice. Hipped roof with projections, crested ridge tiles and decorative finials. Axial chimneys have tumbled-in bases, octagonal shafts with carved roundels, cornices and tapered octagonal pots. Right return has ground floor bay with foliated jambs and a mullionqd oriel. Interior: main oak staircase with fret balustrade and carved Gothic details, and other original features.

Listing NGR: SE8431211098

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 84312 11098

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 11:05:54.