List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD VICARAGE

List entry Number: 1346713

Location

THE OLD VICARAGE, NORTH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityWest Butterwick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Jul-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165215

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 80 NW WEST BUTTERWICK NORTH STREET (east side)

8/151 The Old Vicarage 15.7.87 - II

Wrongly marked as Greenacre on Ordnance Survey map. Vicarage, now house. 1863 for Rev W R Allcroft, by James Fowler of Louth, diocesan architect. Red-brown brick in English bond with bands and dressings of yellow brick, vitrified blue brick and ashlar. Welsh slate roof. Approximately square on plan: double-depth main range with 2-room west front with entrance hall to. left of centre, and 2-room south garden front. 2 storeys. West front of 3 irregular bays, with gabled section breaking forward to left of centre. Chamfered plinth, flush bands of yellow and blue brick headers. Projecting gabled section contains enclosed entrance porch to left, with buttress to left, stone steps tb pointed chamfered ashlar outer arch, narrow square- headed ashlar side window to left return, and pointed half-glazed panelled inner door in chamfered keyed brick arch. Tall pointed 2-light ashlar stair window to right has chamfered and moulded mullion and transom to lower section, and shafted mullion with foliate capital to upper section with triangular-headed lights beneath foiled circular light, in reveal beneath keyed polychrome brick arch with flush brick impost band. First-floor single-light segmental-pointed window above entrance with shouldered-arch light below pierced cinquefoil, in reveal beneath keyed brick arch. Ashlar relief tablet to gable with crown above shield inscribed: W R A beneath 1863

keyed segmental-pointed arch. Right bay has 3-light mullion-and-transom ground-floor window in quoined surround beneath keyed segmental-pointed brick relieving arch with herringbone brick infill, first-floor 2-light ashlar cross window with similar surround and keyed relieving arch in gabled half-dormer; both windows with dummy chamfered mullions and transoms in front of unequal sashes with glazing bars. 3-course cogged and stepped brick raking eaves cornice to gables, stepped eaves to remainder. Crested ridge tiles, ornate wrought-iron finial to gabled entrance bay. Octagonal single-flue stack to left of entrance bay, corniced ridge stacks to rear with tumbled-in brick to offsets. Right return forms 2-bay south garden front: projecting gabled single-bay section to left has ground-floor canted bay with 2- and 3-light mullion-and-transom windows beneath hipped roof, first-floor cross window beneath keyed segmental-pointed relieving arch; section to left has similar ground-floor and first-floor windows beneath keyed relieving arches, that above in gabled half-dormer. East front, facing River Trent, has gabled section to left with ground-floor canted bay and first-floor cross window, inserted French window and original single- light and 2-light first-floor ashlar windows to right. All original windows have unequal sashes behind dummy mullions and transoms. Interior. Original details include open-well closed-string staircase with Gothick style balustrade and chamfered newel posts with trefoiled finials; segmental- pointed openings to upper stairhall; Gothic style stone chimney-pieces to the 2 south rooms, with fillet-moulded segmental-pointed arches and quatrefoiled panels in spandrels; moulded cornices, panelled doors in architraves. Similar in style to Fowler's 1862 vicarage at Amcotts (qv).

Listing NGR: SE8361806230

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 83618 06230

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 08:35:03.