List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1346524

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, SCHOOL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityRedbourne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Jan-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 166029

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 9699-9799 REDBOURNE SCHOOL LANE (south side) 22/68 Church of St Andrew 6.11.67

GV I Parish church, declared redundant c1978. C14-C15 with late C18 rebuilding, including new north and south chapels and partial rebuilding of 1770s by William and Thomas Lumby of Lincoln, plaster ceilings of 1775-7, top 2 stages added to tower 1785; new west door, partial rebuilding of aisles, chancel and clerestory also probably of 1770s-80s. South chapel rebuilt as mausoleum for Dukes of St Albans in early C19. Restorations of 1888 by W W Goodhand of Redbourne include removal of gallery, re-seating, new south porch. Vestry door inserted and east side-windows removed c1985; restorations underway at time of resurvey. Squared limestone and coursed rubble with limestone ashlar dressings; rendered to east side of vestry. Lead roofs, aisles, nave and chancel; Welsh slates to mausoleum, vestry and porch. West tower with rectangular south-east staircase projection and west entrance, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch, single-bay chancel with organ chamber/vestry adjoining north side and St Albans chapel/mausoleum adjoining south side. Side-alternate quoins throughout, those to mausoleum raised, remainder flush. 4-stage tower: moulded plinth, stages stepped-in. Tall first stage: blocked west door with 4-centred moulded arch beneath foiled spandrels and square-headed hood-mould; 4-centred arch 3-light cinquefoiled west window with hood-mould; square-headed 2-light cinquefoiled west window with hood-mould; lighting slits to north and south. Stair turret to first stage has 3 lighting-slits and inscribed square ashlar sundial with remains of iron gnomon. Moulded string course. Second stage: pointed 2-light trefoiled windows, moulded string course. Third stage: large clockface to west, plain string course. Fourth stage: pointed 2-light trefoiled belfry openings with hood-moulds. Moulded string course, coped embattled parapet. Aisles: pointed 2-light trefoiled windows, one to south with tracery missing at time of resurvey. Carved finial set in south aisle south wall. Clerestory: square-headed 2-light trefoiled windows, sections of former columns incorporated in north and south walls. 4-centred arch east chancel window, boarded-up at time of resurvey. 2 pointed 2-light trefoiled north windows to vestry; pointed chamfered south door to mausoleum with hood- mould. Moulded string course, coped embattled parapets with crocketed pinnacles throughout (some pinnacles missing at time of resurvey). Porch: chamfered plinth, buttresses, pointed moulded arch beneath hood-mould; pointed chamfered inner arch beneath blocked pointed window with hood-mould. Interior. Arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers with chamfered bases and moulded capitals, the south piers slightly taller; moulded corbelled responds. Tall tower and chancel arches of 2 orders with hollow chamfers dying into jambs; hood-mould to chancel arch. Tower: 4- centred arch to staircase, deeply-splayed west doorway; pair of corbels to north and south walls, probably for former gallery. Second stage of tower contains timber base for former octagonal spire. South aisle: blocked round-headed door to east, blocked former lancet to west, blocked circular windows to east and west, blocked pointed south window; Cl0-Cll carved interlace stone re-set in west wall. North aisle has pointed arch to organ chamber. Aisle windows have stuccoed brick arches and ashlar jambs. Chancel: broad crocketed ogee-arched niche to north with sub-cusping and carved shield finial over fine incised black marble graveslab to Gerald Sothill (d1410) with inscribed border and figure of knight flanked by angels, re-set 1985. Deeply-chamfered ogee arch to organ chamber with plain moulded capitals and hood-mould with foliate finial. Small square-headed recess to south. Architrave and sill string course to east window. Fine 3- bay quadripartite vaulted plaster ceiling to nave with foliate bosses and plain moulded timber corbels. Fine elliptical barrel-vaulted plaster ceiling to chancel with Gothick panelling and trefoiled corbelled cornice. Plaster ceiling to north aisle. Flagstone floors with black insets. Good series of marble wall tablets in chancel. South side: to William Carter (d1752), with carved urn bearing relief of men planting a tree, and to Roger Carter (d1774), with carved base and fine relief of ship and oriental landscape with pagoda, both attributed to Richard Hayward, 1778-9; to Charlotte and Rev Robert Carter Thelwall, of 1782, by Hayward, with obelisk and relief of mourning figure with urn; to William, 8th Duke of St Albans and Maria his wife, of c1825. North side: to William, 9th Duke of St Albans, of 1851, by J C Lough, with figures of mourning mother and childen in Gothic ashlar surround; to Harriot, Duchess of St Albans, of 1838, by Chantry, with draped altar bearing arms and coronet in relief; to Charlotte, Lady Beauclerk, of c1825. Gravestone in tower to Thomas Waterhouse of 1723 with rustic inscription and ornament. Exceptional painted east window of c1840 by William Collins (a copy of "The Opening of the Sixth Seal" by Francis Danby), boarded-up at time of resurvey. Series of 12 stained-glass windows of Apostles, of c1840, by William Collins, and fine carved baluster- shaped font of 1775, by Richard Hayward, in store at time of resurvey. Mausoleum contains 2 tiers of C19 tombs of St Albans Family with inscribed marble tablets. Work at church in 1770s recorded in Carter Estate accounts includes stuccoing chancel, aisles and other work by a plasterer called Kibblewhite in 1775-7. Drawings by C Nattes, 1795, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library; N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 339-40; photographs in NMR.

Listing NGR: SK9734499944

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 339-40

National Grid Reference: SK 97340 99944

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 12:22:01.