List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT LUKE

List entry Number: 1346240

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT LUKE, YORK STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
RochdaleMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 358852

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HEYWOOD

335/6/25 YORK STREET 12-FEB-85 CHURCH OF SAINT LUKE

GV II*



Church. 1860-62. Joseph Clarke. Coursed rock faced stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Tall nave with aisle, clerestory, south-west porch, north-west steeple outside the north aisle; chancel with clerestory, side chapels and vestry. 5-bay nave with coupled 2-light Geometrical clerestory windows in recessed panels, 3-light aisle windows, continuous sill band and weathering, gabled weathered buttresses. Porch with elaborate niche and coped gable. 4-stage tower has angled buttresses, 2-light bellstage openings, clock and broach spire with enriched banding and gabled lucarnes. 3-bay chancel with 7-light east window. 6-light west window. INTERIOR: nave arcade has double-chamfered arches and quatrefoil columns with foliated capitals and small broaches, enriched hammer-beam roof. High enriched chancel arch on marble shafted columns with thin elegant iron screen added in 1888. Chancel has heavily enriched sedilia, Easter sepulchre, arcade to either side with detached shafts and barrel vault roof. A good collection of stained glass: east and west windows, Hardman; aisle windows, largely Clayton & Bell; windows at west ends of aisles, William Wailes; vestry, J B Capronnier. Good choir stalls and benches of time of building, and later C19 marble and alabaster reredos and marble pulpit. This church stands at the heart of Heywood where, with its immensely tall spire, it dwarfs all the other buildings and forms the main focal point of the town.





------------------------------------------------------------------------------~



Listing NGR: SD8563710769

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 85637 10769

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 06:14:24.