List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES WITH ITS SOUTH BOUNDARY WALL

List entry Number: 1346135

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES WITH ITS SOUTH BOUNDARY WALL, PRESTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityYeovil

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 261404

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST51NW YEOVIL CP PRESTON ROAD (North side) PRESTON PLUCKNETT

1/66 Church of St James with its South boundary wall

19.3.51

- II*

Built in 1420 as a chapelry, substantially rebuilt in the C19, architect unknown. Ham stone, with some local cut and squared stone: plain clay tiled roofs with alternating double courses of fish scale tiles, and with 2-courses stone slates at eaves. Cruciform plan with West Tower, and 1950's vestry in NE corner. Tower may be original in part; diagonal buttresses with offsets and string courses defining each level; small cinquefoil window to hellringers chamber, with C19 clockface over and C15 style traceried windows to bell chamber; battlemented copings, gargoyle spouts to each corner. Most of remaining work of C19 in early C15 style, but North transept day be earlier, the North window (on which others are based, uniquely has no hood mould). Interior almost totally of C19 and unremarkable: some pre-C19 memorials in North transept and the tower space. In a case on the North nave wall the head of the medieval churchyard cross (see below). The South boundary wall to the churchyard, stone, approximately 1.5 metres high and some 42 metres long, with roll moulded coping, of interest the glazed porch and West extension of 1979 not significant.

Listing NGR: ST5347516235

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 53475 16235

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 07:02:49.