List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD SOMERTON MILL

List entry Number: 1346032

Location

OLD SOMERTON MILL, LODGE HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthoritySomerton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Sep-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262962

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST42NE SOMERTON CP LODGE HILL (East side)

4/156 Old Somerton Mill (formerly listed as Mill House)

17.4.59 - II*

Water mill and house. Later C18 but with C16 origins. Local lias stone cut and squared; plain clay tile roofs to house, with stepped coped gable to west and hipped to east; clay pantiles over stone base courses to mill, between stepped coped gables with ball finials; brick and stone chimney stacks. L-plan: house of 2 storeys, with 2 bay south elevation; 2-light leaded iron casement window in beaded surrounds with mullions, the lower with segmental arched heads; between windows a 6 flush-panel door set in segmental arched recess. Mill returns southwards from east side for 2 bays, becoming 2 storey with attic on east side due to sharp fall in ground levels: 3 light leaded casement, and 3 centre arched opening for the overshot water wheel (repaired and still in position); on east side a 2 storey C19 lean-to, incorporating a tall square plan tapered brick chimney on stone base, with moulded stone cap, possibly to accommodate the steam engine known to be there by 1910. Interiors not inspected: milling machinery apparently removed. First recorded 1513, it was known as Somerton Flour Mill in C19, and continued in use until 1935. (VCR, Volume III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4981628475

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

National Grid Reference: ST 49816 28475

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 07:27:27.