List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARRINGTON COURT

List entry Number: 1345920

Location

BARRINGTON COURT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityBarrington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 264293

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST3918 BARRINGTON CP BARRINGTON COURT ESTATE

9/178 Barrington Court

17.4.59

GV I

Manor house. Circa 1514 for Henry Daubeney, perhaps finished as late as c1558 for William Clifton. Interior virtually gutted c1825, restored 1921-25 by Forbes and Tate for A.A. Lyle having passed to the National Trust in 1908. Ham stone with stone-tiled roofs. E-plan, rain elevation to the south-east, main range containing hall and buttery divided by a screens-passage, long projecting wings with staircases in square turrets in the angles, central porch; the plan is slightly offset, screens-passage and entrances not on central axis, some difference in floor levels; long gallery to attic; interior much replanned and refitted 1921-25; in style native Gothic combined with French Rennaissence features. South-east elevation of 2 storeys and attic, 1:1:1:2:1 bays, 2, 3, 4, and 5-light stone-mullioned windows, the majority to the ground and first floor transomed, 4-centred heads to lights, square- paned leaded lights, stopped labels. Outer wings and porch with diagonal buttresses which ascend to twisted finials, scalework caps with crocketed finials, attic gables to bays each side of porch and stair-turrets with similar finials, further finials at the apex of each gable; the skyline complemented by off-ridge tall twisted chimneys with crenellated caps, singly and in two's. Four-storeyed central porch, 3-light window in the gable face, moulded 4- centred arch outer door opening, inner door opening with a panelled door. Returns in similar elaborate style, stacks project with offsets. The principal entrance has to the rear, created by Forbes and Tate; 2:1:3:2:1 bays, 3 and 4-light stone-mullioned windows, 6 transomed, flanking the central doorway projecting chimney-breasts, to left garderobe flues; doorway reached by straight-flight of stone steps. Interior with only the studding of the screens gallery in the hall surviving from the original house. Two early C17 overmantels survive on the first floor, one the Judgment of Solomon, the other in painted freestone with flanking coluans and strapwork ornament.Kitchen with passive stone lintel in the east wing. Virtually all the other fittings in the house cone from the collection of A.A. Lyle and were incorporated by Forbes and Tate, further work to their designs including several good staircases. The reused fittings date from the C16, C17 and C18 including panelling, staicase, panelled ceilings, doors and chimneypieces. Adjacent to the house a wing by Forbes and Tate adopted from a C17/C18 stable block; further service buildings (qv). (Country Life, September 17, 1908; November 7, 1925; March 17, 1928; March 24, 1928; September 8, 1928; September 9, 1949; July 28, 1960; VCH, Vol IV, 1978; Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Ellison A., Medieval Villages of South East Somerset).

Listing NGR: ST3981318284

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Ellison, A - Title: Medieval Villages of South East Somerset
  2. Article  Reference - Title: 17 March - Date: 1928 - Journal Title: Country Life
  3. Article  Reference - Title: 17 September - Date: 1908 - Journal Title: Country Life
  4. Article  Reference - Title: 24 March - Date: 1928 - Journal Title: Country Life
  5. Article  Reference - Title: 28 July - Date: 1960 - Journal Title: Country Life
  6. Article  Reference - Title: 7 November - Date: 1925 - Journal Title: Country Life
  7. Article  Reference - Title: 8 September - Date: 1928 - Journal Title: Country Life
  8. Article  Reference - Title: 9 September - Date: 1949 - Journal Title: Country Life
  9. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958
  10. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Somerset - Date: 1978 - Volume: 4

National Grid Reference: ST 39813 18284

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 07:39:28.