List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY

List entry Number: 1345795

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityHardington Mandeville

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263726

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST51SW HARDINGTON MANDEVILLE CP

4/168 Church of Saint Mary

19.4.61

GV II*

Church. Early foundation, rebuilt 1123 with much C15 and C19 work (1864). Ham stone, cut and squared rubble with ashlar dressings; plain clay tiles with bands of fish-scale tiles between coped gables, ornamental ridge to chancel; lead roof to North aisle, and single bay North Chapel/Organ chamber, with South porch and West Tower. Chancel largely rebuilt in 1864, with plinth, angled corner buttresses; C14 type tracery to 3-light East window; on South wall a C13 style group of 3 cusped lancets, and a C16 style single light under square label, and between them a plain arched doorway. North chapel in C14 style, but a C19 rebuild, with 3-light traceried North window and 2-light traceried East window. North aisle has offset buttresses marking each bay, with cusped lancets between them, and C14 style traceried 2-light window in West wall, matching those to South wall of nave which are also set between offset buttresses. The South porch of C19, in C15 style. Tower probably of 1123, in three stages, with plinth and string courses marking each stage, plain parapet with small gargoyles and pinnacles to each corner; no buttresses, but square plan stair turret for stage-and-a-half on West end of South face: Stage 1 has plain moulded pointed arched West door, and above a 3-light C15 traceried window set in hollowed recess; on stage-2 clock faces to South and West faces; stage-3 has 2-light simple C15 tracerled windows set in hollowed recesses, one to each face; that to North side has reticulated tracery but may not be earlier; ornamented pierced stone baffles to each window; roof a shallow pyramid with stone slates and stone ridges. Internally all of the work is C19, even the convincing C12 style North Chapel arch, which was carved by Revd, J. Hancock, curate of nearby Haselbury. Surviving features include circular font of possibly 1123, with cable mould around waisted base and lozenge ornamental band below rim; good C16 alter table with bulbens legs; wood pulpit of early C17, and 3-panel parish chest of C17. The clock mechanism no later than 1707, 6 bills in tower, 3 from the Purdue (Closworth) foundry, one dated 1591 and three of C17, one C18 and one C20.

Listing NGR: ST5123211932

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 51232 11932

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 08:04:48.