List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1345750

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthorityWootton Courtenay

National Park: EXMOOR

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265403

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS94SW WOOTTON COURTENAY CP WOOTTON COURTENAY VILLAGE

6/120 Church of All Saints

22.5.69

GV I

Parish church. C13 tower, east wall and window, mid C15 nave reroofed, north aisle added, circa 1525-40 nave refenestrated, east window north aisle added, circa 1853 and 1866 church reseated, north aisle refenestrated, chancel largely rebuilt, east window restored, south porch rebuilt, upper stage of tower added, gallery removed, 1900 vestry and organ chamber added, 1921 screen inserted and some mid Cl9 work removed, late C20 church restored. Red sandstone random rubble, Ham stone dressings, plinth, slate roofs, coped verges. Three bay nave, 3 bay north aisle, west tower, south porch, chancel, north east vestry and organ chamber. Four stage saddleback tower, patterned slate roof coped verges, diagonal buttresses to second stage, 2-light louvred bell openings in gable ends facing north-south with corbelled string courses, 4 circular openings on returns, two 2-light windows above west door, chamfered 2-centred arch opening, C19 door, stepped buttress to north front, 2 x 3-light cinquefoil headed windows with angel terminals to hoodmould, similar window with grotesque terminals right of single storey, gabled porch, diagonal buttresses, Perpendicular style entrance, moulded Tudor arch inner doorway, C19 ribbed door, C19 open wagon roof with bosses, cinquefoil headed lancet on left return, unusual Perpendicular monolithic red sandstone holy waterstoup decorated with quatrefoil shield on south front; cinquefoil headed single light to rood stair under hood mould end bay, diagonal buttress, chancel C19 2-light windows flanking priest's door, 3-light east window, 2-light window to vestry, buttressed south aisle with 2 x 4-light east window, three C19 3-light mullioned windows, central one set high above blocked chamfered semi-circular headed doorway, 3-light west window to aisle. Interior: rendered. Three bay Perpendicular arcade, respond at east end, empty crocketed niches on 2 central piers facing nave. C19 chancel arch chamfered in 2 orders, pointed unmoulded tower arch filled with C19 carved wooden screen. Ceiled wagon roofs with wall plates and bosses in nave and aisle, bosses to latter particularly fine, chancel C19 3-bay archbraced roof part painted and gilded. Blocked hagioscope from north aisle, Tudor arch rood stair doorway beside, 3-light opening above of c1900 to light organ chamber. Moulded hoodmoulds to rear arches of east window in north aisle and south east window in nave wall, terminals of angels with scrolls, moulded hoodmoulds to south west window of nave but terminals missing. Good 5-bay carved rood screen of 1921, by local woodworking class. Perpendicular octagonal font. Painted reredos in north aisle by Christopher Webber, dated 1943. Panelling on north wall of chancel remaining from mid C19 refitting. Early C17 and early C18 slate tablets on floor of nave, otherwise no memorials of note. Iron bound medieval chest. Stained glass in chancel dated 1856. (Photograph in NMR; SANHS Proceedings, Vol 77, 1931; Kelly's Directory 1861 and 1906).

Listing NGR: SS9382943434

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1861)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1906)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, , Vol. 77, (1931)

National Grid Reference: SS 93831 43437

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 08:32:15.