List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BINHAM FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1345628

Location

BINHAM FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthorityOld Cleeve

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 264865

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST04SW OLD CLEEVE CP

1/107 Binham Farmhouse

22.5.69

GV II*

Farmhouse, originally grange of Cleeve Abbey. C15, altered C16, 1624, reroofed C19 Northern part largely rebuilt with removal of later 3 storey addition (in North-West corner). Squared and coursed blue lias, red sandstone random rubble porch, slate roof hipped left, coped verges right, brick stack right gable end and rising from eaves to right of porch. L-plan with later additions, 3 cell and cross passage lying South-North, earlier wing South West corner with site of demolished stair turret in angle, later stair turret North West. Two storeys, 1:1:2 bays; C17 ovolo moulded mullioned casement left of full height porch with coped gable and finials, renewed mullions right, one 3-light casement left and two 4-light right of 5-light oriel window corbelled out, slate roofed pentice, groundfloor two 3-light left, two 4-light right of porch, moulded arched opening probably reset with hoodmould and diamond stops, square headed moulded inner wooden door frame, ribbed and panelled inner door. Coat of arms with date 1624 set above outer entrance. Left return 4-centred arched stone door frame, spandrels and hoodmoulded, rear elevation first floor alabaster depressed Tudor arch opening to stair turret. Interior: 8 panel compartment ceiling left of cross passage, 4 panel outer room right, number of moulded peaked doorframes and depressed 4-centre arch fireplaces including one in first floor room incorporating porch room with plasterwork overmantel showinq allegorical screen with Truth and Time, and moulded plasterwork frieze. The layout of the original grange is not clear; at the time of the Dissolution it was leased to tenants. The coat of arms is that of Robert Boteler the Younger who suceeded his father in 1624 as lessee of Henry Radcliff. (VCH Somerset, Vol 5, forthcoming; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, August 1982; Photograph in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST0353942446

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: August - Date: 1982 - Journal Title: Vernacular Architecture Group Report
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Dunning, R W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Somerset - Date: 1985 - Volume: 5

National Grid Reference: ST 03539 42446

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Aug-2014 at 04:05:50.