List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1345594

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict AuthorityDalston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Sep-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78331

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 34 NE DALSTON Raughton Head

10/144 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS formerly listed as Raughton Head Church

II

Chapel now Church. East-wall inscription THIS CHAPEL WAS REBUILT A.D.1761, JOHN BEWLEY, CURATE, GEO MARTINDALE, JOHN SANDERSON, CHAPEL WARDENS; also built into east wall the lintel from the earlier chapel inscribed EDW CARLIOL ME CONSECRAVIT JULY 21 1678; additions of 1881, dated by brass plaque on vestry door. Mixed red and calciferous sandstone rubble with red sandstone V-jointed quoins on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and kneelers; flat roof on tower. Large square west 2-storey tower/porch; 5-bay nave/chancel with north vestry. West entrance in quoined surround with keystone; narrow round-headed window above. Upper part of tower of 1881 with Norman style louvred vents. Semicircular stair turret projects from north wall. Nave/chancel: large C18 leaded windows in round-arched surrounds with keystones. Tripartite east window. 1881 north vestry. Interior: parts of the chancel screen and panelling may be reused wood from box pews. Pulpit made of reused carved oak panel with Latin inscription and M.W. 1628. Carved oak Bishop's seat is dated 1884. Oak panelled chest with initials G.C. and date 1715. Various white marble wall plaques, one to the Reverend Robert Monkhouse of 1822 by Musgrave Lewthwaite Watson. Late C19 and early C20 stained glass. Seating of 1881.

Listing NGR: NY3793145577

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 37931 45577

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 09:35:58.