List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LANGHAM HOUSE AND ATTACHED STABLES

List entry Number: 1345390

Location

LANGHAM HOUSE AND ATTACHED STABLES, RODE HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityRode

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 267358

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST8054 RODE CP RODE HILL (North side)

12/411 Langham House and attached stables

11.3.68

GV II*

Country House. Reputedly 1792 by T Baldwin for William Lydyard addition of 1810. Ashlar, moulded cornice, balustraded parapet with coping, stone urns at the angles, hipped slate roof, 2 low ashlar stacks with moulded caps. Classical. 3 storeys 5 bays, sash windows with glazing bars, those to ground floor with semi- circular heads in shallow arched recesses; plain stone band at second floor level, moulded string below cornice, impost band with interlacement decoration to ground floor. Central door opening, 6-panelled door, fanlight with decorative glazing bars; stone portico with flat entablature of 4 Tuscan columns, Tuscan pilasters to wall. Single storey wing of 3 bays to right by Adam, tall French windows with glazing bars and marginal lights, moulded cornice, baluster parapet with corner urn, hipped slate roof. Single storey, 3-bay semi-circular bow window to rear elevation, sash windows with glazing bars, balustraded parapet, corner urns. Attached stables to rear of right return, hipped slate roof, 2 broad segmental headed openings to ground floor, plank door, above 2 glazed pitching eyes. Complete late C18 interior entered through a hall flanked by 2 Tuscan columns; most of the ground floor rooms with plaster friezes and cornices, the finest in the dining room, most fireplaces also remain. In 1860 the house achieved notoriety as the scene of the mysterious murder of 3 year old Francis Savill Kent. At that time it was known as Road Hill House, the name subsequently changed because of the attention the murder attracted. (Yseult Bridges, Saint with Red Hands, Jarrolds, 1954; Bernard Taylor, Cruelly Murdered, Souvenir Press, 1979).

Listing NGR: ST8045254238

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Taylor, B, Cruelly Murdered, (1979)
Yseult, B, Saint With Red Hands, (1954)

National Grid Reference: ST 80452 54238

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 02:31:01.