List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1345373

Location

CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES, VICARAGE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityNorton St. Philip

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 267267

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST7755 NORTON ST. PHILIP CP VICARAGE LANE (East side)

11/320 Church of St. Philip and St. James

11.3.68

GV II*

Church C14, C15. North aisle probably C17, considerably restored in 1847 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Coursed rubble Doulting stone with upper sections of south and east elevations and north elevations in dressed stone, probably C19. Stone slate roofs with coped gables with finials and crosses. West Tower, South Porch, North and South Aisles and Chapels, and Chancel. The architectural style is unorthodox and somewhat eccentric though generally Perpendicular. Tower; 3 stages with embattled parapet and pinnacles. Stair turret on South east corner, corner buttresses. Across the buttresses on the west face, a quasi- porch, said to have been added in C17 and made up of fragments from the dismantled Hinton Priory. 4-centered moulded pointed arch, with a niche each side, to outer doorway. West window; 3-light with cusped heads under pointed arch with stopped dripmoulds. Then row of 3-niches with cusped heads then 3 niches with 3 small, blocked windows over, under a pointed, moulded arch with stopped dripmould. Similar arrangements on North and South sides of Tower. South Porch; C14, 2 centred, depressed single chamfered arch with carved stone heads, access door to spiral stair, waggon roof with carved bases. Nave, North and South Aisles; 3 bays, corner buttresses, Perpendicular 3-light windows with stopped dripmoulds. Interior; South arcade has square piers with demi-shafts with fillets, arches with convex-quadrant mouldings, bay 3 is wider. North arcade bays 1 and 3; panelled inside piers and arches; bay 2; C17, similar to South arcade, construction suggests reused components, possibly from Hinton Priory. Perpendicular tower arch with tierceron vault to tower ceiling. Perpendicular arches to to Chancel and Chancel Chapels. C19, hammer beam trussed roof with carved figures of angels, to Nave. C19, wagon roofs with ornamental bosses to North and South aisles. Stained glass C19. North and South Chancel windows by T. K. Wallis, East window by Christopher Webb. Over south door; wood hatchment, initialled CR, dated 1660. Font; octagonal, Perpendicular with quatrefoils and shields. C19 wrought iron gates to Chancel made in 1890, screens to North and South aisles, and to Tower arch erected 1886. Stone clergy stalls, marble revedos and alter. Monuments include; against south wall of South aisle;; Tomb, c1460, chest with quatrefoils, effigy of a merchant, under a cusped arch. At west end of nave; tablets including list of names and dates of monumental slabs moved during C19 reconstruction; bequest by Rachel Coles, 1770; and Elton and Fripp 1808; Fair Maids of Foscott and the visit to the church by Samuel Pepys, 1668; and a list of C18 members of the Rundell family. (SANHS, Proceedings Vol. 57, 1911; PE Lawless, The Church of St. Philip and St. James, undated).

Listing NGR: ST7721755726

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Lawless, PE, The Church of St Philip and St James Guide
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, (1911)

National Grid Reference: ST 77217 55726

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 09:10:32.