List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1345311

Location

CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityTrudoxhill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 266840

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 74 SW TRUDOXHILL CP Congregational chapel

6/142

11.3.68

GV II*

Meeting-house, converted from house. Dated 1699; converted 1717; C19 alterations. Coursed Doulting stone rubble with traces of rendering and dressed stone quoins. Clay plain tile roof, gabled to left with parapet and hipped to right. PLAN : Narrow rectangular plan with entrance under gallery at the east end and lean-to staircase wing and later vestry project at east end of south [rear]side. When converted from house to meeting-house in 1717, floors, ceilings and partitions were removed and a gallery was built at the east end; in 1898 a schoolroom was built at the west end, replacing what appears, in an 1850 drawing of the meeting-house, to be a stable. EXTERIOR: 2-storey facade [internally single storey]. 4-bay north front, the left bay slightly splayed back following curve of the road; small 2-light ovolo-moulded stone mullion windows with leaded panes, top panes Gothic; moulded stone string-course above ground floor windows; datestone between centre two first floor windows with raised lettering -'N.R.A.1699' [Robert and Ann Newport]. Single-storey schoolroom on right with 4-pane sash and panelled double-doors with overlight and dressed stone surrounds. Left [east] return with moulded stone doorway with flush-panelled door, 12-pane sash above and outshut on left with small single-light moulded stone window and integral stack. INTERIOR: Open to the roof and with plastered walls; roof ceiled in 1776, but principal rafters exposed. Gallery at east end supported on iron post, its front with three large bolection-moulded panels separated by pilasters. Gallery stairs with splat balusters and square newels. Early C18 panelled pulpit at west end also with splat balustrade to stairs. Complete set of box-pews installed in 1847; gallery seating after 1853. NOTE: The building was built in 1699 by Robert Newport as a private house. The Presbyterian society, formed in the C17, converted the house in 1717 to a meeting-house. SOURCES: [1] RCHME, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in South-West England, pp.197 and 198. [2] McGarvie, M., Notes on the Congregational Chapel, Trudoxhi1l.





Listing NGR: ST7492143784

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Stell, C - Title: An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England - Date: 1991
  2. Unpublished Title  Reference - Author: McGarvie, M - Title: Notes on the Congregational Chapel, Trudoxhill

National Grid Reference: ST 74921 43784

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Aug-2014 at 03:53:13.