List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1345121

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthoritySt. Cuthbert Out

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 268058

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST54SE DINDER CP CHURCH STREET (South side)

15/39 Church of St Michael

22.11.66

GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. Norman establishment, some C14 work, rebuilt C15, restored 1872 with rebuilt chancel and added organ chamber. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar, lead sheeting roofs, coped verge. Perpendicular. Nave, chancel, north aisle, north organ chamber, south porch, west tower. Embattled 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, gargoyles, 2-light bell chamber windows with Somerset-type tracery, stone grilles, topping embattled stair turret, clock, west window, west door. Three bay embattled nave, each aerlon enriched by a foiled niche, gargoyles, pinnacles, 2-light windows, 2 with square heads and one with a pointed head. Porch with parapet and coping, diagonal buttresses, gargoyles, shafted outer door opening, benched interior on flagstone floor, C19 roof on corbels carved as heads. Three-bay aisle, embattled in conforming style to nave, buttresses, gargoyles, pinnacles, 3-light pointed-head windows, door. Three-bay chancel, reset single and 2-light Decorated windows, 3-light Perpendicular east window. Organ chamber in Perpendicular style, pierced parapet. Interior plastered on flagstone floor; roofs of the restoration; to nave and aisle on corbels carved as angels. Three bay arcade to aisle, piers of 4-hollow section; chamfered chancel and tower arches, possibly earlier than the C15. Arches to organ chamber of 1872. Norman dragon heads reset in the chancel over a south window. Good stone pulpit dated 1621, with rosettes, fleur-de-lis and symbols of the Trinity. Octagonally Perpendicular font, a quatrefoil to each face. Piscina also Perpendicular. Pews, choir stalls, altar rails, organ, reredos and screen late C19. Iron candelabrae. Five late C18-early C19 monuments under tower; elaborate mid C19 monument over north door. Window to south of nave with reset medieval glass fragaents; 8 late C19 stained glass windows. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5751644601

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 57516 44601

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 03:17:51.