List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1345096

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityChilcompton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 267816

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHILCOMPTON CP CHURCH LANE (South side) ST65SW 4/17 Church of St John The Baptist 21.9.60 GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. C15, much rebuilt C19. Coursed and squared rubble, ashlar, freestone dressings, lead sheeting and slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north and south chapels, north porch, west tower; Perpendicular and neo-Perpendicular. Tower of c1460, embattled, 2 stages, diagonal buttresses, 3-light traceried bell-chamber windows with quatrefoil grilles, polygonal stair turret, 4-light west window, carved heads as label steps, tracery renewed C19. Nave and aisles 1839 by Jesse Gane; 4 bays, buttressses, embattled, slender 3-light windows; contemporary the gabled porch, iron dog-gates. Chancel and flanking chapels 1897 by F. Bligh Bond, 2-light windows, 4-light east window, large gargoyles at east end probably re-used from an earlier fabric. Lofty plastered interior on flag stone, tile and encaustic flagstone tile floors under elaborate roofs; 4-bay arcades to north and south aisles, piers of 4 hollows section. Perpendicular tower arch. C12 tub font: remains of Elizabethan tomb to Richard Seward in south aisle; further C17, C18 and C19 monuments, predominantly by Reeves of Bath. Good brass lectern. Pews, choir stalls, organ and pulpit of c1900. Simple stained glass of late C19. Six early bells. (Atthill, Church Guide, 1980).

Listing NGR: ST6469752410

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Atthill - Title: Church of St John the Baptist Church Guide - Date: 1980

National Grid Reference: ST 64697 52410

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 12:53:12.