List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WEST COMPTON HOUSE, FORECOURT WALL AND PIERS ON ROADSIDE

List entry Number: 1345021

Location

WEST COMPTON HOUSE, FORECOURT WALL AND PIERS ON ROADSIDE, WEST COMPTON

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityPilton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Jun-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 267637

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST54SE PILTON CP WEST COMPTON

4/163 West Compton House, forecourt wall and piers on roadside

2.6.61

- II*

Farmhouse, later altered to a small country residence, C17; mid C18 alterations for Bisse family. Rendered, tile roof, coped verges, brick stacks on ashlar bases, plinth band, moulded first floor band, moulded cornice, parapet with a moulded coping, emphasised dressed stone quoins. Symmetrical Palladian frontage. Two storeys and basement, 3:3 bays, 12-pane sash windows with thick glazing bars in edge moulded stone architraves; central half glazed door in a moulded architrave, flat-moulded cornice on acanthus leaf brackets; oblong panel set directly over with scrolly side brackets; 6 stone steps to door, top step renewed in concrete. Entrance to basement to left of frontage, paired plank doors, cambered head. Interior with fine dog leg staircase, turned and twisted balusters, ramped handrail, tread brackets; fireplace to ground floor in a dressed stone surround; further lesser features. Rubble wall to right of frontage, dressed stone coping ramped up at end, bead moulded door opening; rubble forecourt wall; square ashlar gate piers to centre with moulded caps and pineapple finials in acanthus left cuppings; rusticated end piers, ball caps; further door opening to left, rusticated jambs; wall coping ramped up to each end and at gate piers. Central gateway reached by a set of 5 rubble steps. C20 wooden gates not of special interest. (Phelps, The History and Antiquities of Somersetshire, 1839; VAG report, unpublished SRO, no date).

Listing NGR: ST5939742245

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Phelps, , The History and Antiquities of Somersetshire, (1839)
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in Vernacular Architecture Group Report, ()

National Grid Reference: ST 59397 42245

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 10:24:56.