List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1344698

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, MANOR ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityCossington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269469

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COSSINGTON CP MANOR ROAD (West side) ST34SE 6/30 Church of St Mary 29.3.63 - II*

Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C15, substantially restored 1900. Coursed and coursed and squared rubble, slate roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave, chancel, south porch, west tower. Mostly Perpendicular. Three stage embattled tower with diagonal buttresses, polygonal stair turret; 2-light bell chamber windows with louvres, two 2-light windows at ringing chamber stage, one blank, one glazed; 3-light west window; blocked west doorway with 4-centred arch head, floral decoration to spandrels, stopped label with figures of angels. Three bay nave, 3-light windows, 3-light window set high up on east gable face, 2 buttresses, probably of the 1900 restoration, on north wall. Buttressed south porch, moulded C14 outer opening, sundial over, paired panelled doors, inside is benched on flagstone floor, moulded inner door opening, above a niche for a former statue. Two bay chancel, paired lancet windows to south, C13 rere-arches; north wall with remains of small window, again C13; priests door; 3-light east window; early C19 memorial tablet set into south wall. Interior with scraped nave, plastered chancel, flagstone floors. Wagon roofs to nave and chancel with ribs and bosses. Moulded tower arch, lancet ringing chamber window set over; simple chancel arch. Remains of a south transept arch. Chancel with C13 tomb-recess with a cinquefoil head. Slender C15 font with quatrefoil panels. Jacobean coffin stool. C19 pews, pulpit, decalogue plaques and reredos. Many C18/C19 wall monuments, most noteworthy over south door of the nave. Cl8 alms box. Four mid/late C19 stained glass windows; fragment of medieval glass to south window of nave; remainder of windows with plain leaded lights. Two brasses, to John Brent and wife, obit. 1524, large figures inset to chancel floor. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST3565340276

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 35653 40276

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 06:14:03.