List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: EDINGTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1344661

Location

EDINGTON HOUSE, BROADMEAD LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityEdington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269482

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EDINSTON CP BROADMEAD LANE (West side) ST33NE 9/41 Edington House 29.3.63 - GV II*

Small country house. Original farmhouse wing at rear facing road of c1640, main portion at right-angles to road added 1780, further wing to east of 1810. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, double-Roman tile roofs, squared rubble and brick stacks, mostly renewed. L-plan; Classical. Main front of 2 storeys, 1:1:1 bays, first and third broad and padimented, rusticated alternating ashlar quoins at corners and between the bay sets, parapet with a coping overall and stone eagle, ball finials at each corner, some missing; first floor band; 12-pane sash windows, voussoirs, keys. Elevated central door opening, transom light with ornamental glazing bars, 6-panelled door, stone triangular pediment on brackets; 6 stone steps up to door with half round nosings, decorative wrought-iron handrail to each side. Two bay addition of 1810 set back on left, conforming style; quoins, cornice, parapet with coping, ball finial at corner; large 9-pane sash windows on first floor, larger 12-pane sash windows on ground floor. Set back to extreme left a niche re-sited late C20, segmental headed broad opening with rusticated voussoirs, behind a semi-circular niche with domed ceiling, above 2 obelisk finials. Wing at right-angles to rear of 2 storeys and attic, 3-bays; 2,3, and 4-light mullioned and transomed casements, cambered heads with voussoirs; glazing bars, 3 with inset iron casements and leaded lights; attic with 2 gabled dormers. Central door opening, studded plank door, transom light with glazing bars, flathood with edge moulding and lead capping on scrolled console brackets. Richly fitted late C18 and early C19 interior with high quality panelling, chimney-pieces, staircase, ornamental plasterwork, cupboards and doors, particularly to the 3 principal reception rooms; coved ceiling to first floor of 1810 wing. Large stone eagle to centre of parapet of main block probably added this century. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset 1958).

Listing NGR: ST3853839610

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 38538 39610

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 04:01:15.